IGNORED

Clutch Size

Gary L

So any idea what was the overall change in mass? The reason I ask... I put a lightweight flywheel in my POS Civic (because that's what all the cool kids do), but I made sure to use the stock style pressure plate and clutch disk. With my Civic, the stock clutch and pressure plate together weigh almost as much as the stock flywheel, so going to a lightweight flywheel wasn't that dramatic of a change.

I didn't need a tricky to drive in traffic quick spooling stab at the throttle nightmare. I just wanted something where the engine would decelerate at the rate the transmission wanted it.

Prior to making that change, when I up-shifted gears in the Civic, by the time I let the clutch out, the engine RPMs were still way higher than where they should have been for the new gear. I think the flywheel was designed with too much mass for the system and by going to a lighter flywheel and slightly reducing the entire mass of the system, I think I better matched the RPM drop between gears.

And I get the same feeling from my Z. Not as bad as the Civic, but a little bit. Or maybe I just shift too fast and work my synchros harder than I need to?

I didn't weigh the clutch cover but the whole kit weighs 14lbs so I figure it weighs approximately 10lbs, so 20lbs total rotating mass?  The stock flywheel weighs right at 23lbs plus the 10lbs of the cover so 33lbs total?  I'll guess and say I took 10 to 15 pounds away.  On my 2.4 that makes a difference, no idea on a 2.8.  I've 6,000 a couple of times but I don't have the miles on it yet to feel comfortable redlining the motor.  It took me a year to get it back in the car so jumping from one red light to the next makes me very happy.  That is all that matters. :)

Actually, I seem to have the opposite problem when shifting my Z, especially from 1st to 2nd - the rpms seem to drop too quickly to match the cars speed. I've played with the dash pot which does seem to slow the rpm drop a little, but not quite enough. I'm sure I wouldn't want to go with a heavier flywheel than the stock thats in there. I'm hoping a new clutch kit and practice will help with this issue besides the chatter.

Have you tried adjusting the BCDD?  When I first bought my 280, as I approached a stop and pushed the clutch in the motor would die.  After turning the bottom nut of that thing, can't remember which way know, the RPMs would slowly drop down to idle speed.  Maybe something to look at?

9204d1332216965-bcdd-block-off-boost-con

My Z is very easy to drive with the 10lb Fidanza, requiring only a bit more finesse than stock when taking off. Stock is around 22lb as site mentioned, so it's a 12lb difference plus/minus a pound. The difference is noticeable but it does not become a pain to drive in traffic at all.

• Like 1

I also have the fidenza flywheel. With the 220mm clutch i found it a bit annoying as a daily driver and the clutch didnt hold my 270bhp. So i changed for the 240mm Exedy and first it holds and is a mutch nicer Combo to drive. Still snappy.

• Like 1