IGNORED

Rally anyone?

Mike

Zedrallye,

up to now I didn't have your problem in an event but I fear I will get it as soon as I would drive with 6 lights burning. I think the Z's generator isn't powerful enough, as well as the battery. I changed the american sealed beam lights to Hella-bi jode that has a quite acceptable far going beam and add the Cibie wide angeled fog lights to have better visibility on both sides for cornering. I once tried the 100 W Hella far beam lights together with the Cibies and I got your troubles. So I decided the above compromise. Has anyone on the list experienced stronger generators or knows anyone what Datsun did to the works rallye cars ?

Rolf

Hi lights,

are you both working with relais?

I'll attach a picture how to deal with this matter

Guus

post-1340-14150792020102_thumb.jpg

Guus, thankyou for the hint on the relais. I use a relais because it is not allowed here to drive far beam and fog beam together in normal traffic. On special stages I use far beam and fog beam together what means I have to "overjump" the relais feeding the fog lights directly from the battery - and that sucks energy.

Rolf

Guus, thankyou for the hint on the relais. I use a relais because it is not allowed here to drive far beam and fog beam together in normal traffic. On special stages I use far beam and fog beam together what means I have to "overjump" the relais feeding the fog lights directly from the battery - and that sucks energy.

Rolf

Rolf,

Thing is, every lamp set has his own relay and own wiring. The fog beam and the far beam also. Otherwise the amperage gets to high as you already mentioned. Perhaps you could also install a dynamo of a 280ZX?

What you need is a normal kind of relay with 4 poles 30, 85, 86 and 87. With this and lots of wiring, you can use both sets at once. Even in combination with your standard headlights.

And for the headlight circuit you also have a solution to minimize the amperage.

Go to

Pete Paraska pparaska@comcast.net IZCC#15

73 240Z marathon project <http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska/>

See <http://HybridZ.org> for Datsun Z car drivetrain/susp/brake/chassis/body mods

There you find this link: 240Z Headlight Relay Circuit, this is also very useful and will kill amperage through the wires and headlight switch.

Good luck

Guus

Z-point

If you like I could send you a bigger picture of the wiring!

Full setup details as such:

Sealed Beam lights converted to H4, running 100/130w globes, each filiment is separetly relayed.

When I used only this setup all was OK.

Added DL (Hella spot 100w ea) and sep. relay, upgraded altenator to 85amp internal regulated.

That's when all my problems began.

On other point. I had originally wired the relays directly from the alternator, have now changed to starter motor, but very hesitant to try out the new arrangement just in case I have another double failure at speed amoungst the tree!

Mike

What is it what you're trying to find out about this?

Mike

Mike,

Somewhere in ’72 – ’73 (or more) the Datsun’s drove in the Southern Cross Rally of Australia.

What we like to know is: what where the start numbers, license plates and (co)-drivers of the Datsun’s. And can you find any pictures?

We are trying to create a victory super list. Look at the link.

Maybe you can help down under!!

Greetings,

Mike,

Somewhere in ’72 – ’73 (or more) the Datsun’s drove in the Southern Cross Rally of Australia.

What we like to know is: what where the start numbers, license plates and (co)-drivers of the Datsun’s. And can you find any pictures?

We are trying to create a victory super list. Look at the link.

Maybe you can help down under!!

Greetings,

for instance like this!

http://www.zcarworkshop.com.au/Newsite/latestnews.html

greetings,

Hi Guus and Rolf and everyone,

Since you were asking specifically about the 72 and 73 Southern Cross, I went and had a dig in my archive for those years. I found a few pieces of the puzzle - but some questions still remain.

Since the articles that I have sourced this info. from do not always give the full entry list, and certainly do not actually state the registration numbers of the cars, I have had to try a lot of cross-referencing and picture research. It does not always bear fruit, but you might find the following useful:

*1972 SOUTHERN CROSS RALLY

Car No. 1 - "TKS 33 SA 8075"

Rauno Aaltonen / Steve Halloran

( finished in overall 2nd place )

No data on any other "Works" Z entries......

*1973 SOUTHERN CROSS RALLY

Car No. 1 - "TKS 33 SU 4080"

Tony Fall / Mike Halloran

( Retired )

This car had injected "LY" Crossflow on Injection.

Car No. 2 - "TKS 33 SU 3444"

Shekhar Mehta / R. Bonhomme

( Finished outside top 10 )

This car also competed in 1973 RAC Rally.

Car No. 17 - No data on registration number.

B. Watson / J. Beaumont

( Finished 8th overall )

This seems to be a "Works" car with local crew.

I have some pictures of the Watson / Beaumont car, but I can't see the registration number clearly from them. Surely somebody in AUS will have the full story on these guys? They did well to come out on top of the other "Works" crews, that's for sure.

Here's a picture of Fall and Halloran in TKS 33 SU 4080 before they retired:

post-2116-14150792021121_thumb.jpg

All,

Bob Watson mailed this to me:...

MN

Mike,

Jeff Beaumont and I were part of the official factory "Datsun" team (before they

changed to "Nissan") in the 1973 Southern Cross Rally. The other team members

were the late Tony Fall / Steve Halloran, Shekhar Mehta / Roger Bonhomme, all in

240Zs, and Frank Kilfoyle/ Mike Osborne (I think) in a 180BSSS. Mehta had won

the East African Safari that year. Bruce Wilkinson ran the team .

My car had been previously run in the Monte Carlo Rally that year. It was left

hand drive, had heaps of power and a lot of traction at the rear, so it was very

prone to understeer, which made it very hard to drive. Tony Fall took me for a

drive during a testing session in the Kinglake forest, and his technique was to

constantly weave the car so that it was always in a slight oversteer attritude,

even on the straights. His comment was "if the bastard understeers, your'e

dead".

The rally was one of the wettest Southern Crosses ever - only nine or ten cars

finished the course. Tony Fall hated driving the Z in the wet, and more or less

indicted that the sooner he retired the better. Sure enough he rolled near the

end of the first night, and was last seen disappearing into a caravan with an

attractive girl. The rest of the team soldiered on, but Andrew Cowan inevitably

won in a Mitsubishi Lancer (one of his 5 Sothern Cross wins). . Kilfoyle

finished seventh, I think we were ninth and only one other car finished behind

us. Conditions were atrocious, and I must say it was one of the scariest and

most difficult drives of my career, wrestling with a very powerful left hand

drive factory car in pouring rain and slippery mud. I have some photos of the

car, but there was so much mud around that the number plates were probably

unreadable. I will check. I know the plates had Japanese registration.

Nissan finally won the Southern Cross in 1977, Rauno Aaltonen was first, Harry

Kallstrom was second (both in twin cam 710s) and I finished third with Peter

Godden in a Gerry Ball single cam 710.

Bob.

This is great man, you push a button and the replays are coming in. I really love it. :love:

Alan and all, every picture of a works car is welcome to me. This my mail address z-point@worldmail.nl

One day I will make a website as a great library of works cars pictures. Just as the victory lane page.

Keep on digging boys.

Z you

Guus