IGNORED

Best Early 240Z OEM Reproduction Exhaust System

Careless

The muffler itself is ok. I haven't installed it to test fitment, but it looked pretty close to what was already on the car in terms of bends and size.

The 2-to-1 downpipe... meh.

not the greatest repro. it fits well, but the way it was made was, as i was told, to "save cost on production"... I've welded many exhausts as I've worked at a number of performance shops and I can say that's utter bullshit. Personally, I'd just make my own in the future, and I have 3 OEM exhausts now to make copies of. I found one while moving tucked under a storage rack. I have the very early stamped collector one, and two of the later 70+ side-entry merged ones, but I'm going to use what's there for now.

As i understand it, the way it's joined on the 2nd last photo posted by katz is how the late 70 and on were constructed. A side entry from one pipe to the other... and that would be far easier to produce than how it's made on the reproduction, which merges two to a collector style cut, and then continues down with another single pipe attached to the end of the first merge collector. IMHO, close... but not close enough if you care that much.

I understand that some feel "no one is ever going to see it" but the fact that this thread has photos of people willing to share the details negates that point, and having constructed exhausts myself... it would have just been easier to produce the late 70+ style as shown rather than "reproduce" one that is not identical to any of the OEM ones at all.

If there is any interest in actually producing good OEM reproductions of both kinds, I may entertain doing so later in the year.

I just don't want to step on anyone's toes by selling stuff that's already available, but I'm finding that the quality of said items is just not what I would expect given their simplicity. there has to be a market for discerning individuals, and some of the older Z repro guys are retiring... so I'm not sure if it would be acceptable just yet. I'm sure some people would be upset.

sorry for the rant. just started getting to me recently, the more i try and assemble this car, i'm satisfied less and less with what's been purchased to complete it before I started working on it.

Edited by Careless
  • Like 1