IGNORED

Flywheel

Brett240

just found out why my engine was making an incredibly bad noise yesterday, it wasnt what i thought it was (stuffed bottom end bearing ), the flywheel was coming loose at a rapid rate!

so heres my question, does anyone have a really light flyweel attached to their car? what are the driving characteristics? will it drop its revs to quickly during up changes? stall easily?

but from what i have heard, you have to learn to drive all over again.

the characteristics are totally different and you will rev faster and they will drop off just as fast.

figuring, the stock flywheel and clutch assembly is about 42 lbs and you drop about 15lbs off of that well there you have it.

im not sure of the weight exactly of the flywheel itself, but i know with pressure plate, clutch and flywheel the total is 42 lbs. ive shipped that.

i would say at least 24 of it is the flywheel. its just something to get used to again.

If you like sporty cars, and I think you do, you will enjoy the improved throttle response. My 240 employs a 13.5 lbs aluminum flywheel with a Centerforce II clutch and I love it. It drives better than it ever did with a heavy stock setup. Would I ever go back to a stock flywheel? I think not!!!

Go for a lightened flywheel - best change I've made on any car to improve acceleration

While you are in there you might as well have a look at the clutch plate and renew the rear oil seal around the crank:classic:

You would not want to do it all again later

Biker

i can only guess at the weight george, but if the flywheel weighs 13.5KG and im pretty sure thats close they have removed about 2KG. it did make a noticable difference, the car was happier to rev and the throttle responce was definatly stronger.

as the flywheel is out of the car at the moment i figure if it wont make the car difficult to drive id like to take out a little more.

Originally posted by That Ozzy Guy

How much does a lightened flywheel go for?

There is an alumunim flywheel (10 lbs.) for sale in Victoria British.

It is hardened 6061 T6 alum. with an steel insert for the friction

surface.

Sit down please......... $499.95

- Jeff