1978 280z Engine Rebuild project

txvepr

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Out with the old.

20170311_111325.jpg

Up, Up, and Away!!

20170311_113140.jpg

Of course, I like to dump all the old oil out on the garage floor, just to make sure its all out of there , of course.... 

(I used a rubber oil plug due to stripped threads on oil pan. , Just don't get it caught on the sled you put it on.)

20170311_123124.jpg

Old and New.

20170312_143017.jpg

Edited by txvepr
  • Like 1

So to re-cap, I am at 500 plus miles of breakin. I did a compression check last weekend and was a little worried. My pressure was showing 95psi on all cylinders.

This was giving me a fright. I was worrying about if I had done something wrong, used the wrong rings, etc.....but it was driving fine.

Then I read a short post of someone else having low compression with a build, and someone just threw out there to use the short connector on their pressure gauge.  I had been using the handy long hose that came with mine too. So watch out for Harbor Freight pressure gauge with the hose attachment...

So tonight I used the short metal tube, and sure enough, it shows 150 psi on all cylinders! Woot!!

So I can now sleep at night.  Oil change next.

Cleanest Head in the County!

20170331_201311.jpg

Edited by txvepr
  • Like 1

compression also depends on what camshaft you have. i have a long duration cam, and am only getting about 105lbs on a check, and am running about 9.8-1 compression, but all cylinders are even.

here is a good link  http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=68/category_id=13/mode=prod/prd68.htm

• Like 1

Question, with the headers, I have noticed after medium to heavy acceleration,  and then getting off the gas, that I hear small 'backfiring' ,popping?

Is this an indication of a too rich condition, or normal when going from stock exhaust manifold, ? 

Maybe this was happening but not heard due to the stock manifold ?

Thanks.