IGNORED

High speed Deceleration clunking/hard rattle 60-70mph

Jmoyet

"somebody with 2 hammers hitting the bottom of the car" is exactly how mine sounded when my driveshaft U-joint self-destructed. Happened at odd times though. New driveshaft fixed it instantly. Mechanic I trust said needle bearing was loose in there. I was sure it was something about the right rear wheel but no.

Jalex, maybe install a new trans mount and new differential mount ?  If that doesn't fix it, it's OK, they were probably about shot anyway. So then do the expensive stuff if necessary.  Or if you can afford it, replace rubber at all eight points of contact per post above.

I got my car cheap because it was clunking. Thank you worn out trans mount !

Edited by Stanley

So I got a solid diff mount and it did for my series 1 240z. Clunk went down but still clunks due to play at the axle hubs at the wheels. And replaced both u-joints on the driveshaft since it had a bad u-joint. Runs smoother but still clunk due to axle hub play and still rattles hard when letting go of the gas going above 60mph like something hammering. Checked the driveshaft it has no marks on it as all that would indicate any rubbing or hitting anything. So I'm still wondering what's causing the rattling/hammering 

On serious deceleration the rear stabiliser was touching the tail-shaft on my race Z causing the 2 hammer sound.  On careful examination the stabiliser bar joints were cracked and the bar had pushed up close to the tail=shaft uni joint in front of the diff.

• 2 months later...