IGNORED

Overheated Engine - How Hot To Ruin Rings?

Time isn't hyper critical on this one yet. I've got a couple months before this one really needs to be done.

And there's no way I'm going to get into a full rebuild. I'm going to have a block worked, it's going to be in my Z, not the disposable project!  :)  I'm just looking for the sweet spot of time and cost. I'm willing to put in the effort, but don't want to waste money on a dead end.

if it runs fine now, and it's a "disposable" then why mess with it?

the head & gasket, if necessary, are a lot less work than rings.

if you want to rebuild an engine for fun, how 'bout an L6, then you get something fun when you're done!

If it were me..........   I would get the kid involved with finding a replacement engine and with his help show him how very easy or how extremely difficult it is to 'just replace' an engine.  If he wants to go further with his automotive skills, then rebuild an engine worthy of a complete overhaul with him.  In the mean time he has a car to get around in and work on quicker than waiting on and maybe getting bored with an intensive rebuild.  It all depends on the kid.  :)   Ask me how I know.  :)

Best of luck.

Bonzi Lon

• Like 1