IGNORED

New member from Oklahoma

Palmettobug

Mine had a terrible shake when I first bought it, rotors were warped and the tires had flat spots.  New tires and brake pads, had the rotors turned too.  No more shaking steering wheel.

Here's a write up on going to a ZX electronic ignition and getting rid of the points, big improvement.  Not sure what the difference would be for an automatic, dual points?  The 240Z wiring diagram is towards the end of the article.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html

You can get a rebuilt ZX distributor from just about any parts store, the one for a '79 is a good one.  You'll need a ZX coil and distributor cap and rotor button, wider gapped plugs too.  Cost me less than $200 for everything but I had the ZX mounting collar already, you can buy one from zcarsource.com,  http://www.zcarsource.com/distributor-mounting-block-280zx-79-83-used_8_77859_66512.html

If I remember right, the ZX coil is 1.5 amps, I use a Crane PS20 Fireball.

Thanks for the comments. I knew I should have paid more attention when my dad tried to teach me all this stuff years ago. Anyway, looks like the best idea would be to get the new set of tires first. Original owner did state there were flat spots on the tires. I'm thinking 205/70's on the stock 14" rims, if I can find them.

Tuning the carbs helped tremendously. I was able to hit 110mph without too much protest for the car. Which is about the time I noticed the brakes need work too. I shall probably stay with the stock rear drum brakes, as I don't have any real intentions of modifying the engine. But I like the stuff I'm reading on upgrading the front brakes to the Toyota 4x4 calipers with the stock rotors.

The distributor upgrade should be able to wait until after I make sure the suspension will hold up and the car stop.

I've got five years to get it right before I pass the car to my daughter.

110 with wobbly tyres and not really knowing what condition the running gear is in... Naughty naughty.

People call the Toyota 4x4 calipers an upgrade, but calipers alone isn't really. If that is all you are doing, it will stuff up the balance between the front and back systems. The 240Z -280Z has good brakes when rebuilt properly and high quality pads and shoes are used.

If you bleed the brakes, the MC will probably start leaking shortly after. That happens went the rubber cups get cut up when they slide over the gunk in the cylinder. The pedal doesn't normally go to the floor so gunk get build up en the bore can get pitted.

I rebuilt my calipers with genuine nissan pistons, seal kits, new discs and pads. The rear drums skimmed, new wheel cylinders, a fixing kit from rock auto and new shoes. It wasn't cheap, but I think the brakes are one of the best things on my car. Now the rest

Enjoy it, they are great fun and there are plenty of mods you can do to keep yourself entertained.

Ok, what does it mean when you have blue smoke coming from the tail pipe. Happens on startup and again when you rev the engine.

Does it smoke also when hot ? If it smokes more when cold, en some when hot, it's your piston rings ( including the oil rings ), that are worn out

Eurodat is right about the brakes.. safety first ! The stock brakes are fine if you have them in good condition, no need to upgrade it.. only if you go for more engine power.

Edited by bartsscooterservice

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So UPDATE : I purchased a reconditioned set of carbs from ZTherapy. Smartest thing I could have done. These things look amazing! We bolted them on. Made sure the mixture nuts on the bottom were turned 2 and 1/2 turns down, started first time. I have since had the car on the road and its drive able. Needs new springs and shocks. But the new carbs have sure made the biggest improvement to date.

• Like 1