IGNORED

My Z - Murphys Law

Datzun76

I am about ready to give up on my Z. The constant maintenance is killing me.

I did finally get 90% out of the insurance company for the guy who tore up my front end. Too tired to argue over 10%.

On the way home my rear brakes went dead and pushed it to a gas station. Fluid leaking all over the place. More repair bills.

A check for $2,000 for the accident so may just get rid of this Z and look for a new one. I think mine is cursed.

Originally posted by Datzun76

I am about ready to give up on my Z. The constant maintenance is killing me.

On the way home my rear brakes went dead and pushed it to a gas station. Fluid leaking all over the place. More repair bills.

Only you can decide if it's cursed, but from your description it's probably a brake hose or rear wheel cylinder thats bad. Are you runnig the original hoses / cylinders that that the car came with from the factory 30 years ago?

In either case, not too expensive to repair. If it is a hose, replace BOTH R & L hoses, or if you can afford it, do all 4 hoses. 2 front / 2 rear. Then you don't have to worry. If it's a RWC examine to see how bad it is. Maybe you can replace the seals from a rebuild kit, or get a new cylinder.

Don't give up now.

You're almost there!

You wouldn't trade your sick wife in would you? Maybe I shouldn't go there.

The point I'm trying to make is, you've gone this far and you have a lot of time invested in this 'baby'. You probably know everything there is to know about THIS car. On the other hand, EVERY new car comes with unknown surprises that cost money, time and aggravation. At least with your '76 you know what's been done and what needs your attention. Sure there's going to be surprises once in a while, but not as many as an unknown car.

Someone a long time ago asked me, 'how long do you plan to keep that car'? My reply was, 'as long as I can still get parts for it'!

I hope this reply to you convinces you to stick it out.

Good to see that you got what is hopefully enough from the insurance co. to fix your car (your not going to visit earl again?)

When it comes to the maintanance on your Z.... Like I tell my wife.

It's either money for the maintanance or money for a car payment.

I have found that a $300 dollar a month budget goes a long way when it comes for maintanance. In fact I've saved enough to make some upgrades.

I call mine the Beast. It began when I bought it - so cold natured it was a beast to start. Everytime I get a little ahead and drive it for a while, something else crops up. But hey, rebuilt radiator, new carbs, new ignition, new exhaust, ... sooner or later, it'll be a new car. It's just long overdue maintenance. The PO made the car pretty, but didn't take care of any of the mechanicals. Hang in there.

Well I did get the front grill and inspection lid off Ebay for $25 so that helps. Still need front panel, headlight casing, air dam, and left bumper stopper, and repairs to the hood.

Who knows may come out ahead with extra money from this accident if I can keep finding these parts.

ROFL:love:ROFL:love:

Mate, believe me, I can sympathise with you. (For that matter, we ALL can).

As the saying goes, "BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW" etc.(see my post AT LAST).

When I think of all the blood(Literally), sweat and tears Precious has cost me, I could NEVER let her go to anyone else.

I actually got my arm STUCK while refitting the rear bumper bar. You know the bolt that goes from inside the right rear wheel well to the end of the bumper bar where you have to SQUEEZE your hand between the body and the side of the fuel tank. Took me ten minutes of pain and BLOOD was flowing before I got my hand out.

What hurt most was having to ask She Who Laughed Loudly to reach in with her dainty little paws.

I'm sure you have had similar adventures with your Zed, so how could you POSSIBLY consider selling her ??????????

Rick.