IGNORED

Redwing's Car - An Update

SteveJ

Fastwoman said to me, a myriad of small things can compound and make a much bigger problem, than if each on their own. So maybe? (Not negating Grey's vacuum line work, thanks Greg.)

She also kept insisting Check Vacuum lines for leaks!

Yes Blue, many Prayerz answered!

Jai

Edited by Redwing

Let it be known to all in the Kingdom that SteveJ is and was the point man on this adventure. A truly nice guy and a plus to this community. I think he should be considered for Sainthood. He knows his stuff. Tony came quite a ways and did not hesitate to dive right in. Dedicated Z guys they are and good to work with too. 

I agree, Fastwoman and Blue are both very wise.  As everyone here knows, one thing touches another and I believe that to be the case with Redbird. Steve and Tony got to wrestle that tank and it was kind of fun to hear their conversation during the initial removal.  I think they both might have been Sailors at one time  :D .

And now that I think about it, those small pieces of metal in tank were probably from the original gas cap chain, but who knows?

For the record, things that were replaced on the thermostat housing were:

temp sender

temp sensor and connector

thermostat gasket

The Thermotime switch was not replaced.

I just recently replaced all of mine and it took me 30 minutes to do on my car.  On Jai's car that temp sender did not want to leave it's happy home….. Ever!. That was a good part of my day. Just by chance if you've ever wondered what the inside of one of those look like, Steve, Tony and I can tell you. 

The rest of the under hood work was mostly emission related:

-Charcoal canister filter (very clogged)

- PCV valve

-Vac line from the canister to the 3 way connector to the distributer plus the two short lines from that.

On the manifold:

-Thermal vacuum valve to to vacuum delay valve hose (the delay valve was not there)

-Vac hose to the EGR.  EGR had been deleted but the hose to it was plugged, I did the same with a fresh hose.

All the vac hoses were dry, split and hard. They did not have a good seal on them. If there was a hose up there, it was replaced.

She has an aftermarket A/C and there was no White Vac bottle or lines in the usual route. I did not think to check for those lines.

Didn't get to do any of the fuel lines. They looked to be in fair shape.

Steve, I think you're right on the fuel injectors being a little gummy.

There were a couple of things that bothered me when we left.

(1) the white cap on the dash pot was missing. I believe the dashpot has something to do with anti stall? It's one of those mystery components to me.

(2) The Idle adjustment screw has no effect at all. One complete turn in either direction made no difference at idle. Anybody have any ideas on that?

Timing was not set when we left, As Steve pointed out to me there is no mark on the Harmonic Balancer. Now that Redbird is running better that will be an easy fix and I'm glad to hear Red Bird is on the road again.

Jai sat there with us the whole time. What a nice lady. I hope I'm that sharp at 73.  Come to think of it, I don't think I'm that sharp now…….I might be in trouble.

• Like 4

Oh my oh my. There is something big happening. Up jumped the devil as they say.

But first I need to tell about driving to town, testing RedBird again today.

She preformed similar to Sunday. Only worse. It took her the full drive to Ingles to clear out the problem, to run smooth. As I left, it wasn't long before she got it together and drove smooth. A beautiful ride back home.

Then was backing her in her carport. Went less than 5 ft., and a Huge Loud Klunk from the rear end, that stopped her cold. Ok, started her, to continue, and less than 3 ft. it happened again. Very loud and perhaps a metallic sound to it. Tried one more time, straightened out the wheels, and extremely soft and careful, eased her into place. Scary!

I have no idea what this was, but it sounded like I was losing the rear end. I am now afraid to drive her. I can, if anyone wants, to pull forward and back up again whilst recording on my phone for you to hear.

So I am again stuck here at home, but at least I'd bought dog food Saturday night. And milk for my coffee. Thanks to Steve for driving me there.

Anyone with wonderful ideas?

Thanks all,

Jai

So I saw Redbird yesterday and put it up on jack stands. I watched as Jai sat in it and let out the clutch. The noise Jai is hearing is her differential lifting and bouncing around when it's put in gear. When it torques, I think it is lifting and causing the driver side axle to lift up and pinch a little making the connecting bolts tat tat tat when turning as well as hitting the body. I should have shot a video to better describe it :( .

I didn't have much room to really check but the Diff strap was not obviously broken and I could not get a good visual on the mount insulator.  Those would be my first guess without putting the car on a rack or at least a hard surface.  Any one have any spares or any other suggestions?

post-29102-0-59232500-1441290396_thumb.j

Driver side U-joint, sorry for the blurry pic.

post-29102-0-68957700-1441290129_thumb.j

Diff mount 

post-29102-0-63281300-1441289937_thumb.j

U-joint at differential

Back to the throttle issue, I think the next time out we probably need to check out the TPS and the throttle itself as it still has a rough idle when warming up but it revs just fine. It might just need a good cleaning out.

• Like 1