Rear Window "Spots" - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Rear Window "Spots"

Featured Replies

I've seen these "spots" on windows every day, but I've never been able to explain how they got there, or is it an optical illusion? Even the camera has  hard time recording the image.

 

post-1411-0-50984400-1435135462_thumb.jp

 

Take your polarizing sunglasses off.

  • Author

wasn't wearing anything with polarizing lenses.

  • 3 weeks later...
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

I've seen people say it's from the aftermarket window tinting to the defroster on-off cycles creating abnormalities to your polarized sunglasses.  It all goes against the stuff I learned in physics class.  Some people insisted it was only for older cars, but I have seen the phenomena  on brand-new cars too.

 

The most reasonable explanation I found was:

 

These spots are caused during the tempering process. They are intentional stresses which are created in the glass to make it stronger and to control the way it breaks in an accident. The result of this is that it breaks into thousands of small pieces instead of as few large knife-like pieces..

Edited by TomoHawk

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.