IGNORED

Zcon judging rules

While I won't be attending this year, I decided to go over the website to learn about it.

Reading the judging rules left me with more questions than it answered.

I have a Series I 240z automatic that I have been working on to make as street able as possible. While I think of the car fairly original, the rules would seem to state it Would only qualify as a daily driver. Among the disqualifying modifications include:

An aluminum radiator,

Dual downdraft Weber carbs,

A modern R134 air conditioner,

An AC compressor mounted in place of the air pump,

A leather covered dash,

LED headlights.

So am I damned to ride in the also ran class?

I don't think your mods automatically place you in the DD class. 

The Street Modified class also allows for up to 15 visible mods BUT expect these cars to be super clean and very well detailed out.  No grease or grime in the engine bay, decals in place, upholstery in excellent shape, paint in almost perfect condition, no dirt anywhere.  Think Stock class but with mods - the judging criteria is the same.

The DD class allows for signs of road use such as paint chips without every nook and cranny sparkly clean. Expect reasonable road grime buildup in the engine bay.  Upholstery should be in good shape and a clean interior.  Overall the car should be clean, shiny, and unbent with wear appropriate to its age.

Sorry you won't make it to the party, I always enjoy your posts.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Like 1

I was just going to say that you could qualify for the Street Modified class.  Jim's advice about CLEAN is the key to winning.  It's been five or six years since I judged and I authored the rules a couple of versions ago.  The point deduct method of judging allows for normal wear in the Daily Driver class but is more strict in the other classes.  On the other hand, I once saw a guy with a really nice stock 240Z enter in the Daily Driver class and blow the competition away because his car was so clean and so nearly stock.  Rather than take the points hit in the Stock class, he entered in the more tolerant class and didn't get the points deduct.

The trend across the country in many shows including Concourse shows is Survivor class vehicles.  I am not sure why ZCCA was not come into the current times: they need to have a survivor class....a car is only original once. 

I was just going to say that you could qualify for the Street Modified class.  Jim's advice about CLEAN is the key to winning.  It's been five or six years since I judged and I authored the rules a couple of versions ago.  The point deduct method of judging allows for normal wear in the Daily Driver class but is more strict in the other classes.

Ok, I went back and re-read the judging manual and it raises some questions.

I have installed a VintageAir AC, would this be considered one visible variation or several, ie compressor, control panel, hoses, etc? Since the VintageAir control has it's own fan switch, I deleted the OEM switch and installed a second 12v power port. Would this be considered a separate visible modification?

Gauges - no points are deducted for a non-functional gauge, ie the clock. I have installed a quartz mechanism from a light aircraft behind the original face. Hands are different (including a second hand) and a second setting knob protrudes from the plastic lens. This would be considered a visible modification?

Do the rules allow a modern radio/sound systems under 9) of the Judging requirements. I have speakers installed in the triangular wedge voids in the front of the rear floor pan. (the ones used to hold the jack and tool pouch in Series II and later). Is this one visible modification, two, or none?

I have dealer installed options, ie mag wheels, AMCO override bars (front and rear) and AMCO luggage bar. Each is considered one visible modification for a total of four even though they were there in the initial vehicle delivery? How about a passenger side outside rear view mirror? 

While I served in Air Force, the MAC started a competition for cargo air drops. The first year we got dinged for having surface rust on exterior screw heads. Next year we got dinged for having paint on those screws because the judges couldn't determine if there was rust underneath. So if I'm being too wary, it's because I've been run through the gauntlet a time or two.

BTW my goal has been preservation rather than restoration and I would appreciate a Survivor class.

Edited by djwarner

DJ - if going into the DD class, only the interior and exterior will be judged, they would expect the engine bay to be closed so any underhood mods "did not happen" and it doesn't matter anyway.  The rules have no statement on mods:

DAILY DRIVER

Vehicle must be a daily driver with at least 75,000 driven miles on odometer. The vehicle can be

personalized with various add-on items such as: lowering, air dam, rear deck spoiler, fog lights, aftermarket

wheels, override bars, after-market sound system, after-market mirrors, after-market seats,

carpets and upholstery, and after-market exhaust. Stock vehicles can enter this class with mileage

criteria. The “Daily Driver” class is not eligible for a GOLD MEDALLION or GOLD CUP AWARD.

In the Street Modified class, the engine bay is judged and visible mods must be counted: your radiator, carbs, and A/C for a total of 3.  Interior mods would include your power port as it has nothing to do with the A/C.  I suspect the clock would get a pass as it might easily be taken for a rally clock.  The updated stereo & speakers are likely one mod (you bought it as a kit, right?) and the luggage bar another one.  On the exterior, the front and back override bars count as 2 since they were sold individually.  Alloy wheels are a mod as is the pass. side mirror.  Dealer add-ons are just that - not from the factory and therefore mods.  Just because changes are permitted in this class does not mean they don't have to be counted.