charliekwin

Project Boondoggle (or, so I went and bought a Z!)

8 hours ago, ryanotown22 said:

What is your setup for spraying? Compressor size/gun?

21 gallon and 10 gallon Harbor Freight compressors joined together with a T-fitting and check valves.

I used two guns: Devilbiss Finishline FLG-4, for the sealer and color. I didn't want to spend big money on a gun, and at $200, it seemed to be one of the better values out there. The other gun was from the two-piece kit from HF (https://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-professional-automotive-hvlp-air-spray-gun-kit-61472.html) to shoot high fill. That's why I bought it, but the small detail gun turned out to be surprisingly useful. I've used it a bunch of times on small parts.

Going back in time a little bit for a recap of some of the things that happened in December and January trying to get the car back on the road.

Interior

The only new thing on the interior (so far) was re-doing the trim around the sides of the roof. I remember going home on a Friday afternoon and thinking "this shouldn't take more than an hour or so." Then I screwed up the windshield piece three times. I didn't get anything else done that weekend. The first time my brain short circuited and I stuck the piece on backwards. The second time, I cut it too small. The third time had too many wrinkles. The fourth time was good enough. The trim along the doors, at least, went on easier. I still need to do something about the sun visors.

IMG_5291.jpgIMG_5296.jpgIMG_5303.jpgIMG_5304.jpgIMG_5305.jpg

Rubber and Seals

When Black Dragon closed down their Z store a few years ago, I bought everything I thought I might need one day. It's been sitting in a box in my office since then, and finally that decision paid off. Good thing, too, because almost every part that wasn't missing outright was long perished. Off the top of my head: there's new seals for

• quarter windows (body seal and door)
  • hatch glass
  • outer hatch weatherstrip
  • upper door trim
  • window glass
  • door to fender
  • door to sill
  • windshield
  • fender (these weren't even on my car before, and I ended up installing them wrong and having to cut them. Oops.)
  • hood to cowl
  • headlights

Side Mirrors

One of my Christmas presents: a new set of side mirrors from Z Car Depot. Drilling holes in my newly painted doors that I spent hours fixing...that's nerve-wracking. Measure five times, then once more. The mirrors come with sheet metal screws. That doesn't seem particularly robust, and I think contributed to my driver side door getting torn up over the years, so I thought nuts and bolts would be better. Since I could reach through the back, I again thought "this shouldn't take more than an hour or so." I'm a slow learner. Being able to reach an area and threading on nuts and washers are totally different things. If I knew exactly how long it took to get those mirrors mounted, I would be embarrassed to share it. Because they have a long base, they don't fit quite as tight against the door as I'd like, but at least they look good, even if the passenger side mirror (being flat) is basically useless.

IMG_5463.jpgIMG_5482.jpg

Windshield Wipers and cowl

The wiper linkage was a dirty mess and tough to move. Everything was taken apart, cleaned thoroughly, and re-greased. I cut some new washers from leftover felt that I've been holding on to for about a decade (I knew I might need it some time!). While I was at it, I brushed some black Rustoleum on the cowl and the wiper motor bag.

IMG_5307.jpgIMG_5311.jpgIMG_5314.jpgIMG_5317.jpgIMG_5316.jpgIMG_5323.jpgIMG_5439.jpg

• Like 1

Continued from above...

Cleaning things and polishing the shiny bits

All the nuts, bolts, and other miscellaneous hardware pieces were cleaned up as much as I reasonably could with a red scuff pad, wire wheel, or buffing bad. One day, when I run out of projects, I think I'll try re-plating some of the hardware. Meguiar's 105 did a great job buffing up the stainless trim pieces. My old Black Dragon order also included a new set of outer door window trims. Can't say I'm super happy with them: the tips were bent in transit, the protective film was cut badly and super glued on, and to top it off, don't seem to fit very well.

IMG_5464.jpgIMG_5467.jpgIMG_5465.jpgIMG_5466.jpgIMG_5470.jpgIMG_5457.jpgIMG_5498.jpgIMG_5499.jpg

Power Locks

The power lock kit has a soft zinc block that connects the actuator rod to the door rod via set screws. It would always fall off. Never more. Please don't judge my welds.

IMG_5508.jpg

Lights

The marker lights were all filthy, but mostly just needed a good cleaning Three out of four are passable, but the front lens on one is a mess. Alt least it's only $30 for a pair of replacement lights. Headlights were cleaned up too. The turn signals needed more attention. The reflectors were rusted, the housings were dirty, and the paint on the surrounds was coming off. I still had material left from the paint job, so everything was cleaned, sprayed with adhesion promoter, epoxy, then rattle can white on the housing, and metallic gray on the surrounds. White is still plenty bright, so rather than trying to repair the reflectors, I left them out entirely.

IMG_5326.jpgIMG_5327.jpgIMG_5330.jpgIMG_5332.jpgIMG_5333.jpgIMG_5447.jpgIMG_5445.jpgIMG_5446.jpgIMG_5449.jpg

Badges

The only badges I've left on the car are on the vents. Mine were pretty rough. Replacements aren't terribly expensive, but I'll salvage what I can. Removed as much of the old paint as I could, then sprayed with some Rustoleum, and scraped off everything that should be shiny. This'll do; I'll save the hundred bucks for something else.

IMG_5509.jpgIMG_5510.jpgIMG_5511.jpgIMG_5512.jpg

Hood and front end issues deserve their own post, but I think there's a football game about to start.

• Like 1

I'm not dead, just been too busy with other things to get much else done on the car, especially since I can drive it again.

But, at least my new plates came...a775417761a286ecfc357ae8aa389693.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well I see it's been <checks thread> over a year! since posting anything (mods, you can move this to Build Threads), but life has been busy. I finally took the time to restore the computer with most of my photos on it and came across some of the small projects I photographed inconsistently --and poorly!-- so here are some of the things that happened:

Fixed my grill. I'm not sure what it had ever done to anyone, but that person apparently got their revenge. I found on in good shape for sale for ~$100, but took the far less sensible approach and set to fixing mine. Drilled out all the rivets, sanded off the old paint and rust, and beat them into shape as best as I could. Finished with leftover epoxy primer, some filler, and painted with Dupilcolor wheel paint. Put back in without even thinking about the after picture. Also not pictured: I sanded off the old baby blue paint and hit the whole area around the radiator support with black Rustoleum, which will stay until I paint the engine bay.

IMG_5328.jpgIMG_5329.jpgIMG_5331.jpgIMG_5523.jpgIMG_5528.jpgIMG_5530.jpgIMG_5534.jpg

Then I cleaned, repaired and remounted the horns. No horn pad yet, but at least they work.

IMG_5533.jpgIMG_5535.jpg

Ordered and installed 240 bumpers! These came from Vietnam. There were some delays in shipping, but finally arrived after about 6 weeks and a number of emails. Some people have reported fitment issues -- especially with the rear bumper -- but mine fit fine. The mounting tabs needed a little bending to get into position, but that wasn't a surprise. Biggest complaint might be that the supplied hardware was a bit disappointing (I picked up some nuts and bolts at the hardware store), and the mounting tabs for the side pieces on the rear had comically oversized captive nuts (M10, maybe) that required drilling bigger holes into the body than I would have liked. Hardly a deal breaker.

20191203_133748.jpg

I didn't buy brackets, figuring I could just make my own. Front seemed easier, so tacked that first. Set the bumper in place with things in the garage (an aside: nothing I've done on the car has made me more nervous than moving the bumpers around, as I was convinced that I would drop them and ruin the bumper, the paint, or probably both. Disaster was somehow avoided, though not without a couple close calls.) then made a cardboard template and copied that to some thin steel. When I had what I thought was the right shape, I copied it to 1/8" steel; the thinnest available at the hardware store. The brackets might outlive the car. I whiffed badly on the positioning the first time and had to fix both brackets, but I got to use the welder, so it worked out. They came out nice, and the fit is excellent.

IMG_5544.jpgIMG_5545.jpgIMG_5546.jpgIMG_5548.jpgIMG_5549.jpgIMG_5550.jpgIMG_5626.jpg

Same idea on the rear: cardboard first, then a ton of fussing to get all the gaps right. I'm sure they were cut and re-welded 5 times or more. I still had a few ounces of paint left from the car, which I used for the brackets and the bolts. One regret: I didn't realize the holes for the bumper bolts on the rear quarters are different between the 280 and 240. I needed to drill new ones and would have closed up the old ones when I did the body work. Same goes for the cutout in the rear valence and a couple of the mounting holes in the back. The bolts are color matched, but would prefer to not have them at all. Ah well. The bumper looks good. Those rear lights could use some help.

IMG_5554.jpgIMG_5555.jpgIMG_5556.jpgIMG_5559.jpgIMG_5561.jpgIMG_5624.jpgIMG_5625.jpgIMG_5627.jpgIMG_5629.jpgIMG_5630.jpg

I got a ride home and a new fuel pump back in January.

20200109_090803.jpg

And replaced the blower motor with a Kia unit because the old one was squeaking and rattling. What a great upgrade!

IMG_5631.jpg

Now I'm in a bit of a holding pattern. Putting audio into the car doesn't seem like a good use of funds, especially since I've switched to full time remote work and barely drive anymore, so I'm mostly watching Craigslist for L28 engines. 

Car pulled out of a driveway across multiple lanes of stopped traffic to get into the left turn lane, which I was already in. Stood on the brakes, but wasn't enough. I'll tear into it tomorrow after the adjuster comes, but it looks like the hood and air dam are probably salvageable. Bumper is bent, and maybe fixable too. Door looks fine so far, so I'm hopeful there's no structural damage. Haven't decided how I want to deal with any of it yet.

Hope you are Okay!

Oh man that sucks!! Really sorry for you.  Hopefully its just worst looking than it is and you're able to use everything. Although that fender doesn't look good.

Keep us posted

• Like 1

No injuries at least, so that's something to be grateful for.

Peeked under the hood and didn't see anything that worries me. You're right about the fender and headlight though. I'm dumb enough to at least try to fix it, but almost certainly will need to find new ones.

If I do it myself and if I only have to paint the hood and fender, that's not so bad. I had flaws in those panels that nagged at me anyway. There are other flaws that nag at me, and will try hard not to think re-painting the whole care would somehow be a good idea.

Oh No!!! Is the insurance company involved, at least for reimbursement? In other words... Was the accident deemed the other guy's fault?

I had the exact same accident occur in my past. I bought a new car and went over to my Dad's place to show it off. He asked if he could take it for a spin. Of course, I tossed him the keys, and while he was out, the exact same thing happened to him. I wasn't with him, and I was really wondering what was taking so long...

Thankfully there were witnesses and the accident was deemed 100% the other guy's fault, but the damage was done. Car had under 2000 miles on it at the time.   :cry:

The fender might be salvageable if it was a super rare item, don't....

Just replace that and the bucket

Look for damage really closely around the top of the radiator support. The fender looks moved in a little. Not the end of he world but will make panel alignment frustrating if it's not dealt with

Damn, that's beautiful car.  What Patcon says^  the hood looks like the front side lip might be bent a bit but the reflections are still straight so it doesn't look like it was kinked.   Any good chrome shop can fix that bumper.

The other party was in Jeep Compass. They were in a rental (I think some kind of private party rental) and looks like it just got their bumper and some trim. I filed a claim with my insurance company mainly just so I don't have to worry about any of it. No determination of fault yet. If I get anything from my insurance company, great, but honestly, it's the time and work that's hung over me more than any of the costs. Assuming everything looks good after I pull it apart, I'm probably at ~$500 in parts, paint and other materials.

I'm with you guys on the fender and headlight. I'm still just coming to terms with having to re-weld it again and don't want to think about it :)

Passenger side hood hinge was tweaked; same with the front of the fender support (at least). Hope nothing too bad happened to the hood -- they're harder to find. And the bumper's stainless, which I assume is easier to fix than one that's chrome plated.

Buddy of mine suggested that the vanity plate might be a little too on the nose. Next time maybe I'll pick something way more positive and hope it's similarly prophetic 😄 (I dunno...maybe LTRYWNR?)

• Like 1

Got to dig into my situation. Preliminary assessment:

One good dent on the hood. Wish it weren't so close to the edge. Bad photo, but there's very small break on the opposite side that I don't remember seeing. If I can avoid repainting the bottom of the hood too, that'll be a win.

IMG_5659.jpgIMG_5660.jpg

Bumper buckled on the top and bottom. No scrapes or dents anywhere, though! Not sure the best way to get it back to shape, but seems doable. Bracket got pretty well twisted. Probably need to remake at least one of them.

IMG_5647.jpgIMG_5648.jpg

Air dam took a little damage from the bumper and one of the holes isn't looking great. I can clean up the bumper recess with body filler. It's not a super-visible piece, so maybe I can get away with touchup paint instead of repainting the whole thing.

IMG_5650.jpgIMG_5651.jpg

Headlight needs a massage. Grill was mostly unscathed.

IMG_5652.jpg

As does the hood hinge and the fender support piece on the front end.

IMG_5653.jpgIMG_5655.jpg

Best news: no damage to the area around the radiator core support. Feel confident that there's no frame or structural damage.

IMG_5654.jpgIMG_5656.jpg

The headlight bucket is wrecked. The fender isn't much better. 

IMG_5657.jpgIMG_5658.jpg

Gotta source a few parts. Not sure what I'll tackle first. Even though everything here is about the best I could've hoped for, I'm kind of unenthusiastic about it all right now.

Oh, and when I came out of the gym last night, I found that THIS happened to my other car in the parking lot. You gotta be kidding me....

PXL_20200930_013218930.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, charliekwin said:

I found that THIS happened to my other car in the parking lot.

I hate people.

Glad the Z is looking like it wasn't all that serious.

The Z accident is a bummer, but I'm not really angry about it. That kind of thing happens; we're all human.

The G tweaks me. No note or anything, there was *plenty* of space, and I'll probably be out a $500 deductible to get it fixed. Lots of things I'd rather spend that money on.

Some movement: the insurance company estimated repairs for the Z at ~$1900. After the deductible, I got a check for $900. I like knowing that I've done all the work on the car, and there's no way I'm finding a shop to repair it for $1900 (let alone $900) so it's DIY job. That check should cover parts and materials, plus labor ...at about 10 cents/hour. 

I got the fender support mostly straightened out and haven't given up on the fender itself. They're harder to find and none are for sale locally right now, so I'm seeing what I can do. 50/50 right now. Headlight bucket is a goner.

IMG_5671.jpgIMG_5673.jpg

Meanwhile, I got this:

IMG_5661.jpgIMG_5662.jpg

It popped up on Craigslist, was close, and low priced. L28s, like everything else, seem to be going up in value, so I grabbed it even though nothing will happen for a while. According to the seller, it's from an 82 or 83ZX that he was going to swap into his car until it was totaled (fun coincidence: the vacuum tank and thermostat housing I picked up from the junkyard a few years back came from the seller's totaled ZX). The engine sat for a couple years, but it turns over freely and has everything. I figured if it turns out to be junk, I could probably sell off enough stuff to make up most of what I paid for it.

Disassembly so far has been painless. Not a single stuck nut or bolt. All the accessory pieces still spin. The exhaust manifold has a big crack, but that's the only part so far that's properly damaged. I pulled off the valve cover and oil pain and the internals I can see look good to my relatively unknowing eyes. The head looks better than the one in my own car.

IMG_5664.jpgIMG_5665.jpgIMG_5666.jpgIMG_5668.jpgIMG_5669.jpgIMG_5670.jpg

I have a pile of stuff here that's pulled off. The stuff on the right is headed for the trash. Most of the stuff on the left I don't really know what to do with. Is there any market or interest out there for things like an alternator, AC compressor, injector blower that aren't seized but may not work? I don't want to throw things out that are valuable (or even useful) for someone, but garage space is at a premium and I don't want to fill it with junk, either.

IMG_5667.jpg

• Like 1