IGNORED

1976 280Z Restoration Project

wheee!

I am confident my repair is the same height as before, which fit the door before disassembly. Once I have the basic body filling done, I will hang all the panels and doors to test all the fits. I expect there will be some adjustments as I go. But thanks for the reminder!

On 22-12-2016 at 5:19 PM, wheee! said:

Thanks Chas! Looking forward to each step as I go...
How's the engine management system coming? .... I haven't forgotten about that either LOL

That has hit a rough patch. I don't have the time to work on it atm. With family and flying back and forth to my father is starting to take its toll. I hope to get some quality time on the Zed between christmas en new year.

Your engine bay is really going to look nice when its done, judging by the work you have done so far and what you are gathering. Real eye candy.

Take care and enjoy chrissy/new year with the family.

Chas

Well, I worked on the structural joining piece between the front frame rails and the floor pan rails today. I used the mock up cardboard method plus a lot of measuring and test fitting. The parts turned out pretty good and I am close to getting it all welded up together.
IMG_4116.thumb.JPG.99e96669ab48e50b47153

• Like 1

In your most recent photos, one (or perhaps both) of your set of frame repair sections has stitch welds running full length along the inside of the long folds.  Why?  Did you fit a doubler piece inside for extra strength?

BTW, I admire your efforts in constructing these repair pieces from scratch and without the benefit of having a sheet-metal brake in your shop.  That's a pretty nice result achieved from forming your bends over the jaws of a mechanic's vise!

• Like 1