IGNORED

Fuel Tank Vent Lines

sdyck

I do have a fuel smell in the cabin of my car: I expected to take off the panels at the back and find a bunch of rotten hoses. But they look pretty good as you can see from the attached pictures. The hoses are pretty hard, are the cloth hoses very pliable when new? There is one long line that runs along the back panel that goes through the floor that should have a grommet at the floor but doesn't, not pictured. I might try just changing this and renewing the grommet to see how it does.

Are there any of the lines that cause particular problems?post-29415-0-01387300-1416089791_thumb.jpost-29415-0-06147600-1416089841_thumb.j

Check your fuel/air/vapor separator for any cracks or defects in the braze joints.  Mine had a crack where one of the nipples was brazed on.

Even though you say your hoses look good, they shouldn't be hard.  If those are the original hoses, one of them could be cracked or split.  I'd replace all of them with new.

I can't seem to find any old threads, "404 Not Found", keeps showing up this morning but there's alot of info on that.  I cleaned my tank and replaced all those hoses a few months ago.  Mine were original and hard as a rock, all cracked on both ends.  There's only 1 you can get to easily, 1/2" that comes out the top driver's side of the tank.  The others are a PITA but doable with the tank out.  here's the only one I can find, http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/24181-rating-the-factory-240z-fuel-vent-hoses/

I think replacing the hatch gasket would be my 1st attempt at getting the smell out of the cabin. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Siteunseen I have both an exhaust smell and fuel smell. I'm going to redo all the rear light gaskets and hatch seals as well as make sure all the holes in the hatch floor are well sealed for the exhaust issue.

For the gas smell I've read every post I can find. I see most of the hoses are nla and many have crazy bends. I did find one post that listed replacements from McMasterCarr but it was old and most of those are Nla too. McMaster has some great alternatives with low bend radiuses.

I guess I'll get stuck in on taking it all apart and checking the hoses before I order anything.

My car is from Arizona with pretty low on rust so I'm expecting the gas tank to be pretty clean. If I empty it and drop it off the car for a while is there something I should fog it with t keep the rust at bay over the winter?

Today the best thing to do with an old gas tank - is buy or rent a good inspection camera and look inside - then decide what you need to do. There are lots of different processes to be considered  - depending on what you can see. 

I think the hose that is the more difficult to deal with - is the one that come off the top of the tank - and required a tight 180 degree bend. Various ways of accomplishing that.. several documented here on the forum.

Personally - on the 240Z's I drive fairly often - I just eliminated the vapor recovery lines all together. But even so you still have to deal with proper venting of the tank, so it can be filled. Which means you still have that long line with the 180 degree bend to deal with.

good luck,

Carl B. 

What is this fitting called? It's about 3/4" and joins the main fuel filler hose to the thick line that goes to the vapour tank. It's got a nice big crack in it.

I don't see it listed at the z store. Is it a standard item I could pick up at an auto parts store

Thanks.

post-29415-0-76198600-1416167626_thumb.j

That looks to be the JOINT-TUBE BREATHER  17227-E4100 or 17227-E4600 per the online catalog up to 7103.  For 7104 and after it is 17227-E4101 or 17227-E4601.  The catalog shows this as a "T" fitting, mine is also a straight fitting.  Unfortunately I can't do a paste from IE to get the catalog link to you.  The "T" fitting might be the 4100/4101 and a straight fitting might be 4600/4601 or vice-versa.  This is probably a Nissan-only part, see if your dealer can help.

Here's some Sta-Bil fogging oil for winterizing engines, it should work for your tank.  I've never used it but it got 5 stars from amazon.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=STA-BIL%2FFogging+oil&rlz=1C1BOFA_enUS494US494&oq=STA-BIL%2FFogging+oil&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58j69i60j69i61l2&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8