IGNORED

Ignition Assembly

lance75_280z

I used a drill to CAREFULLY drill a small hole in the screw heads then used my smallest E-Z OUT to remove them. Your "new ignition should have come with 2 new screws that have a "break-away" hex head to replace theose screws with. When you tighten the HEX head, it breaks off leaving you with those screw head that have no way to remove them. I recommend using some other screw instead of those in case you have to removed the ignition assy again. I use CAP screws (which require an allen wrench to remove) just to make removal more difficult for the average thief. Of course you could just use regular METRIC screws.

Ac Carl said, drill 'em out. It is very soft metal, you'll be through it in no time. Rather than use the EZ-out, i just used a 1/4" or so bit & drilled the whole deal away. Your drill chuck will be REALLY close to the dash/guage pod, so be really careful that you dont bump into it & mess up the dash. Really low-tech fix, but workz for me.:stupid:

I centerpunched to get a start hole.Then drilled a little ways in,thenwent up 1 larger size drill bit and put the drill in reverse and pushed while letting the drill turn slowly.Next thing ya know they backed out.

Drilling seems to be what eveyone is telling me, so I guess drilling it is. I just thought that there was a tool or something. Now....I have to find a DRILL!!!!!!!!l.....LOL. I guess I can borrow one.

Thanks again.....And I will replace the Hex screws with regular ones....

The point of using the snap off heads is to make your car harder to steal. If you have a car alarm, then using normal screws would be ok i guess. Since the only thing the lock really does is lock the steerimg wheel.

If you want to get the car started you can pull the plug out of the back of the lock and hotwire it, or plug it into another igntion lock that you have a key for.

Originally posted by beandip

Is this from past experience? ROFL Cammo is this how you put together such a good looking Z ?

Yep but not what your thinking. some lowlife stole my old car (not a 240z), and when i found it i had to hotwire it to get it started to get it back home.

And i've pulled my 240z apart and had a good look at the locks and switches.