IGNORED

Wheel bearing "race" removal ?

I guess I've never done this the right way but I want to now. I'm replacing the inner and outer bearings and the races need to come out. Is it as simple as it looks, blunt punch on the indented area's? Putting the new ones on do I tighten the castle nut down until they seat then back off until it spins freely?

Thank you for sharing any experiences,

Cliff.

post-24724-14150829512419_thumb.jpg

post-24724-14150829513123_thumb.jpg

Blue's spot on!

Always nice to have a specialty tool that is exactly what's needed to do the job.

To reseat the races I've always just inverted the old race and used that as the tool to tap the new into place. Then before it was fully seated and the old "wedged" by the hub, flipped it right side up and drove the new race home. At that point you have the fat end of the old race exposed and just used a punch or similar to drive back out.

Don't know if this is that clear but will be evident when you do it.

I picked up some brass and aluminum round stock at the hardware store for that kind of work. I'm decent with hand tools but still managed to gouge the hub when driving the old races out. It's a pain to get in there and clean it back up before installing the new bearings.

If I was doing another set I might even get some flat stock that's barely smaller than the hub and notch the sides so it locates inside the race.

Actually, I don't remember gouging the hub myself but still found gouges after they were out. Could have been the guy previous, who knows. Nevertheless, easy to gouge.

Edited by Zed Head

A couple helpful tricks:

Put the new races in the freezer and the hubs in an over at 250F. The races go in much easier.

Getting the races out is very easy if you have a TIG welder. Just run a bead around the bearing face of the race, flip the hub over, and the old race just falls out. No pounding needed.