IGNORED

My early 260z weighs 2440lbs

Kurbycar32

I was curious and got the car weighed. There were no attempts at weight savings here. The car has power locks, power windows, larger battery, sound deadening material, aftermarket seats (not sure if thats + or -), a false 3/4" wood floor in back, speakers, amp, tools, about 1/2 tank of gas and my cup of coffee . Any weight savings would be from my removing the hideous bumpers and spare tire. The motor is a 2.8l with dual weber dvg carbs and an unknown 5sp transmission. Hopefully this helps somebody

Hideous bumpers is late 260Z, isn't it?

The early 260 had hideous bumpers, but not as bad as the "park bench" style on the late 260. Thats subjective I suppose

How does one get power windows and door locks? Are those factory options?

Nope. Custom door panels with generic aftermarket windows and locks kits. I mentioned those because they all add weight that wasnt there

Sounds about right. The NY title to my early 260Z said 2414lb, in essentially stock configuration. I'll be scaling it at the shop once it's back on the road and will have some accurate numbers as to where it's at now.

does it have factory A/C ? I thought these Car's were closer to 2600lbs.

I would imagine this early 260 would weigh close to a 240 and neither of them would be approaching 2600. Franky my car weighs lots more than it probably should with all the stuff I added to it, and I weighed it with fuel and tools inside

It was my understanding that the late 73s & the 74s were close to 2600 lbs, in part, because Datsun increased the sheet metal thickness at that time. Comparing my 71(Ist Gen) & my 74, even if the sheet metal was the same, there is a couple of hundred lbs. of changes including the bumpers. I'll bet Carl could lend some insight to this.

I drove my '73 onto a truck scale. It showed 2,450 with me and one of my tool boxes in it (appx 180 lbs between us) and the original spare tire. That nets about 2,270. The car had roughly a 1/2 tank of fuel, no smog equipment, and TTT front control arms and TC rods + a rear sway bar. Other than those, the car is pretty much stock.

There is a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation out there, especially regarding the 260Z. This is just another one of those busted myths, along with the L26 making less power than the L24...

I weighed my early 260Z many years ago and it came in at 2,420 lbs., which was about 100 lbs. heavier than my brother's series 1 240Z. My car had alloy wheels (Libra's), SU carbs, a header, and I had removed the shock absorbers for the bumpers. (I made my own aluminum brackets to mount the bumpers). So it is clear that as the Z went from model year to model year it got a bit heavier. Much of the weight difference between the 240Z and the 260Z came from and increase in the sheet steel used for the front frame rails. This was done to increase the rigidity of the front of the car in order to pass the new bumper/crash regulations. The sheet metal at the rear of the 260Z was not changed as the back of the car was stiff enough to pass.