IGNORED

Woohoo!

rcb280z

post-21454-14150828780088_thumb.jpgYeah she passed emissions testing today! Actually passed with flying colors. I will post the results at the end of this thread. I usually run the timing around 12-13 degrees BTDC. That was the only thing I adjusted today before the test. I set it back to 10 BTDC. For the past 3 months I have been adjusting on the AFM tweaking it here and there trying to find a happy medium. Guess I found it. As you can see in the numbers she is running pretty clean. All stock except for the air filter and exhaust. I just make sure all the electrical connectors are corrosion free. In the past I would give a complete tune up. But not this time. I really didn't have the time. It just goes to show that if you stay on top of these old cars they will perform well and run clean. Here is the test results.

post-21454-1415082877967_thumb.jpg

The first 2 pics are easier to see. Hope its better than the one below.

post-21454-14150828780707_thumb.jpg

Edited by rcb280z

Captain,

No that was with his extra AFM. I have his original AFM that's out of whack. Tomorrow it goes on the flow bench and I'm going to pull the numbers we spoke of the other day. I've already looked at the output a bit. There wasn't any flat spots, but the spring was really dialed back and would(should) have been running him rich.

It would be interesting to see the differences between the AFM he has now & what this one will be when I re-calibrate it.

Len

Captain,

As Lenny said, he has my AFM I wanted to use but everything has worked out. I do have a cat and it is CA specific. All other 49 states can use different cats. The only change was the timing tweak and I have since then put it back to about 12 BTDC where she really likes it, other than the AFM tweaking a couple weeks ago. But I didnt have to do a thing but bump the timing today for it to pass.

Lenny,

Take your time. Somebody upstairs was looking out after me because the AFM I have on the Z right now is an original one and I really didn't think it would pass emissions. I thought it was worn out until about 2 weeks ago. So I tweaked and tweaked until it was right. So with that said if you would like to keep it longer you can.

Now I have to trouble shoot the cold start system. It has not been working for about 2 weeks. Harder to get her started in the am. Use to fire right up even with the fuel pump check valve not working. CSV does work when I supply 12V to it so it's probably in the FI relay.

About the CSV, I'm not sure there could be anything wrong with the FI relay that would affect only the cold start valve. I'd have to take a refresher look at the schematics, but I suspect if there was something wrong there, you'd be having problems with other components as well.

If you're convinced that your CSV should be firing, but isn't the next thing I would look at is the thermotime switch.

BTW - What's the ambient temp where you are? I ask because the thermotime (and hence the CSV) stops actuating above 71-72 degrees F. So if you're above that temp when you go for your first cold start, the CSV wouldn't fire anyway (by design).

Right captain, The temp is usually around 58-62 degrees when I go to work. I removed starter wire from starter and usually when you turn the key to the "start" position you can hear the CSV energize, click. That no longer happens. It is a little cooler here right now, 54 degrees, so I will try it here soon. As soon as I have my coffee :) So far I know the CSV works if I apply 12V to it. I must have been tired last night when I thought FI relay. TT is about 4 years old and they seem to rarely go out. The only reason I replaced it 4 years ago was just because I had a new one. Will post what I find in a new thread.