IGNORED

Building A L28 (Na)

TheCrazySwede

I know you will keep me in the loop, I look forward to your engine pics as soon as they start trickling in! Eiji will steer you right. The man may work at a modest pace, but his engines are art.

I'll be hogging the refresh button on my email in the next couple of weeks, hoping to see an email from Eiji!

Thanks a lot for your help, Zedy! You're not in the clear yet, though. I'll be sure to bother you when I get the motor back!

If you are wanting 200+ HP - you need to change crank and stroke it. My cay dyno's close to 200 but with a N42/42 combo - I don't believe you will hit your HP goals above without changing the crank.

Don't get me wrong - my horsepower is plenty of fun for me and keeps me out of trouble - but - if I had it to do again I would put a little more $ into it and get 3.0 or 3.1 out of it and change the crank.

Keep us posted with your updates

I don't know Mitchell. I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. I have read about too many strokers that have fell on there face. If the complete package is right, and the tune is done right, he should see 200HP.

I'm not sure the components the Swede is using will be the right combo. I haven't read any hp numbers from any Eiji engines---confirmed by dyno. Still waiting on "kenobi' dyno run;)

If you read the archives at hybridz, the N42 was not a good choice for hi-performance street, but better all out racer head.

I'm also curious what head work is proposed by Eiji. Not looking for any secrets, but how big is the cam? The head work is everything on these motors.

Just my opinions here from what I have read over the years.

If you are wanting 200+ HP - you need to change crank and stroke it. My cay dyno's close to 200 but with a N42/42 combo - I don't believe you will hit your HP goals above without changing the crank.

Don't get me wrong - my horsepower is plenty of fun for me and keeps me out of trouble - but - if I had it to do again I would put a little more $ into it and get 3.0 or 3.1 out of it and change the crank.

Keep us posted with your updates

I spoke to Eiji about the crank options, and he mentioned the benefits of each (L28 vs. L28D)

I told him I wanted a fast revving L28, at the expense of power if necessary. He told me the different rod/stroke ratios, and quite frankly, the diesel crank didn't really do much for me. One of his shop cars runs on a very similar setup as my motor, and he's pushing over 200 at the wheels, with a stock crank. I read up on a lot of Eiji's work (granted, it was very hard to find) but he really knows what he's doing. He's actually very well known in the JDM tuner's community and I can't argue with all of the happy customers I've talked to.

I'm going with a stock crank, along with Kameari pistons and rods. The head work is still under discussion.

Unless I have missed it in this thread, I have not read whether you are having Eiji do any chamber and port work on the N42. Any chamber reshaping, etc?

I met with Eiji about a year or so ago. He is a very interesting guy. My recollection of my conversations with Eiji is that he really likes the N42 head especially as a platform for chamber reshaping. If I ever have someone build an engine for me he would probably be at the top of my list. I look forward to reading your story as it all comes together.

Unless I have missed it in this thread, I have not read whether you are having Eiji do any chamber and port work on the N42. Any chamber reshaping, etc?

I met with Eiji about a year or so ago. He is a very interesting guy. My recollection of my conversations with Eiji is that he really likes the N42 head especially as a platform for chamber reshaping. If I ever have someone build an engine for me he would probably be at the top of my list. I look forward to reading your story as it all comes together.

I spoke to him about his plans for the head very briefly. I can't remember the details, to be honest, but it's something we would discuss more once he receives the motor so that he could inspect my head first.