IGNORED

5 speed manual transmission identification

ronlaw28

Hey there! I have been getting some great tips from you guys. I own a 1971 240z. Original l24 with a 5 speed installed by prior owner. The other day, I was replacing leaking master and slave clutch cylinders and I noticed the following stamped on one side of the transmission housing: L5 "NMCA" and "#3" on the other side. Does anyone know what kind of 5 speed this is and gear ratios? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The rear of the transmission helps tell you which version it is and then you can work out the ratios. The FS5W71B had three different version through the 280Z up to the 280ZX.

Take some photos of that area and post them.

Here is an old thread about the different extension housings. It will give you an idea what to look out for.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-s30/49070-transmission-id-quiz.html

Chas

The rear of the transmission helps tell you which version it is and then you can work out the ratios. The FS5W71B had three different version through the 280Z up to the 280ZX.

Take some photos of that area and post them.

Here is an old thread about the different extension housings. It will give you an idea what to look out for.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-s30/49070-transmission-id-quiz.html

Chas

How's this?

post-30252-14150827901836_thumb.jpg

post-30252-14150827902404_thumb.jpg

It only has one spur on the left side which dates it to somewhere between 1980 and 1983 280ZX. Im not sure of the month they changed in 1980.

You can do a simple test to check the ratios.

Remove the spark plugs and jack up one of the rear wheels.

Start with the engine at TDC timing marks and mark the postion of the drive shaft on the rear of the transmission.

Turn the engine 3 full revolutions and line it up on TDC. If the mark on the transmission/driveshaft almost line up, then you have a close ratio 81-83 ZX transmission. If its about 1/6th of a revolution off the mark then you have the early ZX.

Ratios

280Z.- 280ZX (close ratio)

1st. 3.321.- 3.062

2nd. 2.077.- 1.858

3rd. 1.308.- 1.308

5th. 0.864.- 0.745

I think the 79-80 ZX had a slightly different first gear ratio, but is more or less the same as the 280Z.

Chas

It only has one spur on the left side which dates it to somewhere between 1980 and 1983 280ZX. Im not sure of the month they changed in 1980.

You can do a simple test to check the ratios.

Remove the spark plugs and jack up one of the rear wheels.

Start with the engine at TDC timing marks and mark the postion of the drive shaft on the rear of the transmission.

Turn the engine 3 full revolutions and line it up on TDC. If the mark on the transmission/driveshaft almost line up, then you have a close ratio 81-83 ZX transmission. If its about 1/6th of a revolution off the mark then you have the early ZX.

Ratios

280Z.- 280ZX (close ratio)

1st. 3.321.- 3.062

2nd. 2.077.- 1.858

3rd. 1.308.- 1.308

5th. 0.864.- 0.745

I think the 79-80 ZX had a slightly different first gear ratio, but is more or less the same as the 280Z.

Chas

I checked your link and it looked quite similar to your photos, and had the speedo cable screw at 6 o'clock as well. I noticed another member's comment to your post that it was 80-83zx close ratio. Back in Feb, I installed an r180 with 3:90 ratio along with new strap/mounts and mustache bar rubber rings. I notice difference off the line and I'm running around 4300 rpm at 85mph (did replace proper speedo gear as well). Based on that, I also assumed the tranny was close ratio, but I will try the method you suggested. Thanks for following up. Btw, do you know what "NMCA" stands for? I saw another unrelated post where someone said Nissan Motor Co., Australia, but I have not confirmed.. Thanks again! Ron

Two muffler hanging tangs + short shifter mount ears = 77-78 280z

One muffler hanging tang + short shifter mount ears (~1" tall) = 79-81 280zx

One muffler hanging tang + long shifter mount ears (~2" tall) = 82-83 280zx - the one we all crave.

• Like 1

Hi Ron,

I think the #3 (on yours and my transmission) is a quality control reference for the casting blocks used to make the housings.

No idea what the NMCA means. I can't prove it isn't Nissan Motor Co. Australia. Maybe someone here knows more about it?

Chas