IGNORED

Speedometer still not working

Reverend

I installed my 5 speed tranny last spring and put the correct pinion (black, if i remember correctly) BUT my speedo has not been working since. Worked fine before the swap. First i tought it was not deep enough in the tranny, so i shoved it in. Did'nt help. I swapped the pinion mounts (i had 2 of'em) and tried. No bueno.

Used a electric drill with speedo cable, and my oh my it moved. SO, what is the matter? Pinion is not ruined or anything, looks just fine to my eye just like the blue one i had in 4 speed. Why does it not work even i have pushed it way deep in the transmission?

When you installed the pinion gear did you use the complete aluminum assembly or did you remove the little pin and swap gears? The gear is actually offset to one side in the assembly and when Nissan changed the location of the hold-down screw they moved the hold-down slot to the other side. The two assemblies look the same but if you use a later assembly in an early transmission the gear will be too far away to be driven. People either cut a new slot or swap just the plastic gear.

Found a picture on the inter-web. Post #3.

Matching Speedo Gears after Rear End Swap - 620 - Ratsun Forums

Does the gear inside the transmission turn with the wheels? You could probably see in there with a mirror. I don't think much oil will drain out of the hole. Jack the back end of the car up to be sure it's higher than the fill hole.

That's all I got.

The gear assembly should be just deep enough that the metal lock-plate fits in to the slot. It's piece #63, in the upper right corner of this drawing. The slot should determine how deep the assembly sits.

Notice piece #65 also. It's the drive gear inside the transmission. I think that it might be plastic also and can get damaged.

Datsun 280Z Transmission Gears, Speedometer Pinion (5 Speed-FS5W71B) (From Aug.-'76)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...