IGNORED

My Project Z.

slammsun

Hey wassup Z fans/owners. I recently bought a 76 280z wasn't really in the greatest condition but i love it. Its came a very LONG way and still a lot more to come. Here are some before and after pics. wish i had more before pics but i broke my old phone and only managed to fine these but here is this beast. Let me know what you think

post-29997-14150827837016_thumb.jpg

post-29997-14150827837607_thumb.jpg

post-29997-1415082783821_thumb.jpg

post-29997-14150827838809_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

back again with Z so its almost ready for paint just need to finish off the off the hatch door have to remove the windshield have a little bit of rust.

does anybody where to buy fender flares or ducktail wing?

so here is my progress post better pics soon

(just ignore that ugly van)

post-29997-14150827984551_thumb.jpg

post-29997-14150827984841_thumb.jpg

post-29997-14150827984992_thumb.jpg

post-29997-14150827985143_thumb.jpg

I love the way it "sits". What color is the Beast going to be? Post a pic of the flares & tail. I might be interested. Tell us all you can about the Beast, History, mods, future plans & pics. Inbetween Z work sessions that is. I can't stop myself from offering some experienced advise, Sorry. Take it easy the first six months. This is an old car & probably full of surprises. Good & bad. Should you feel the need for speed, find a local sports car club involved in racing. ICSCC is a great way to get instruction & get on the track. Many clubs are affiliated with them. OK I'm done. thanks, I feel better now. We want you & your Z to still be around decades from now. Enjoy each other.

mark in portland

I love the way it "sits". What color is the Beast going to be? Post a pic of the flares & tail. I might be interested. Tell us all you can about the Beast, History, mods, future plans & pics. Inbetween Z work sessions that is. I can't stop myself from offering some experienced advise, Sorry. Take it easy the first six months. This is an old car & probably full of surprises. Good & bad. Should you feel the need for speed, find a local sports car club involved in racing. ICSCC is a great way to get instruction & get on the track. Many clubs are affiliated with them. OK I'm done. thanks, I feel better now. We want you & your Z to still be around decades from now. Enjoy each other.

mark in portland

Thanks bro means a lot. Well the Z is pretty much stock. The only real big upgrades i have really done is straight pipe, lowering springs with coil sleeves, and rims 16x10 all around. Next mod is going to be new bushing, shocks, strut bars trying to tackle the suspension first so i can have a smooth ride(its bouncy). Then comes the tough decision V8 or Turbo just dont know LOL. The interior maybe the last thing. The history of the Z dont really know that much about except the i guy bought had it sitting around for 6yrs in the garage right next to his 73 240z fully restored with RB26. I might raise the car 2in and throw on some bigger tires i got stuck in my driveway couple days ago lmao! Got big plans for the Z keep i'll keep you guys up to date with the build.

I was checking out this site last night Datsun 240Z/260Z/280Z Catalogue - Fiberglass & Steel

Not sure how reputable they are, but then there is of course the Z store but I'm sure you've been there already. How'd you lower it? Did you use lowering springs or chopped stock springs?

was looking at that site i like the front air dam but yea i used lowering spring with coil sleeves so i can adjust the height of the car. Looks good but not the most comfortable ride but i guess you get use to it LOL

was looking at that site i like the front air dam but yea i used lowering spring with coil sleeves so i can adjust the height of the car. Looks good but not the most comfortable ride but i guess you get use to it LOL

Lowering springs with coil sleeves? How spendy was that and hows it handle? Stock ride height just looks so awful, and I need to do something, was considering cuttinv my springs, but I know thats the wrong way.

Edit: Is that the type of thing your talking about?Racing Coil Over coilover Fit Datsun 260z 280z 74 78 Adjustable lowering Springs | eBay

Edited by 2sixTZombii

• 4 weeks later...

update

so some not so good news happened last week i cracked the block while on the freeway. dont really know why/how just remeber hearing a popping noise then next thing smokes everywhere i pull over to check it out then i see a one big hole next to a quarter size hole on the block. well i found a block for sale f54 dont really know to much about that stuff but i was thinking about just doing a complete rebuild but i want to put triple Mikuni(they sound so nice). Does anybody have any clue on how much it would be? i was guessing like 2500 at the most.

Lowering springs with coil sleeves? How spendy was that and hows it handle? Stock ride height just looks so awful, and I need to do something, was considering cuttinv my springs, but I know thats the wrong way.

Edit: Is that the type of thing your talking about?Racing Coil Over coilover Fit Datsun 260z 280z 74 78 Adjustable lowering Springs | eBay

yea those are it. The ride isn't really all that smooth but it it does the job to get the car low. I dropped my Z about 6in. Going to replace the bushings and shocks next

When lowering a car that extreme, you will get an uncomfortable ride and bouncy because the shocks/struts does not match the amount of rebound and travel required. I never really liked the idea of welding sleeves on to a strut and call than an coilover. For a comfortable ride, you will need to be able to adjust the dampening and allow the strut to have a full travel. By compressing the springs on the sleeve, your suspension will not have the proper stroke required for a smooth ride. Real coilover systems are expensive, but they are totally worth it.