IGNORED

Hello from Central Michigan/Chicago

julsfelic

Hey everybody! Local Chicago guy currently at Central Michigan, but will be back in the Chicagoland area come June. Now that I am moving back home I have been researching a good project car to occupy my time and narrowed it down to a S30 or older 911. Not knowing that my dad used to race S30's back in his day he has waxed poetically about the car to me recently and decided we would do a Father/Son build on one! Been doing a lot of reading to see what Z community would be great to join, and I've heard nothing but good things about Classic Zcar club so I look forward to sharing, learning and talking Z cars here!

Welcome

This such a great opportunity for you and your dad. You have found the best Z addiction site. Everyone has plenty of knowledge and encouragement to share. Keep us informed about the selection process and get your dad on here too. Many of us got our first Z experience back in the 70s and love to hear old Z related tales.

Mark in Portland

Hello, good to hear another Chicagoan S30 owner (future). There are a few of us out here. I've lurked on this site a while and only recently signed up so I'm new as well. Looking forward to seeing what you'll end up with.

Edited by Pmg

Thanks for the welcome! I'll more than likely set up an account for my Dad next time I'm back home. I'm sure he would love sharing stories from back in the day. Right now we are just doing are due diligence to find a S30 with as straight a body as possible. Luckily my Dad used to do body work for a while so that will definitely help

Welcome! As a fellow Chicagoan (well suburbanite), I've found this site to be very useful! I ended up picking up my '72 240z from a guy down in Texas. I'd suggest you look south or west for the most rust-free vehicle you can find & then still be ready to deal with some form of rust. Feel free to look me up once you move back & you're welcome to come check out my project & talk Datsuns.

Julian,

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for classic Z's! :) I purchased a '71 240Z from Peoria, IL to restore and have been collecting parts and tools since then. Having your father's experience is a great asset and it's wonderful you can share this experience with him! I hope to have children of my own someday to pass on my love of Z's. Also, it's great to have another Z enthusiast here in the Midwest! There's several classic Z owners in Iowa I've become acquinted with and I know the Chicago area has a good Z club. Again, welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride!

Robert S.

PMG -- Yes, I was at the Promenade last summer with the Windy City Z Club. My car is still a work in progress, right now looking to make it the most reliable driver possible....once its mechanically how I want it, then I'll be moving to the cosmetics.

Welcome here!

I used to live in Troy/Birmingham MI. It took me 4 years to find a good condidate locally. At the end, it was all worth it but you might want to look also elsewere for a proper car.

Now, that I have one, it brings me a smile each time I'm driving it (except when it let me down from time to time on the side of the road... that was before)

• 2 months later...
PMG -- Yes, I was at the Promenade last summer with the Windy City Z Club. My car is still a work in progress, right now looking to make it the most reliable driver possible....once its mechanically how I want it, then I'll be moving to the cosmetics.

Very cool. I picked up a 280z last year. It was that event that pushed me over the top. Maybe I'll see your group sometime this year.