IGNORED

Z CON 2014 San Diego CA

Montezuma

Awesome! I'll be driving my 71' down, let me know when you are planning to take off.

I'm driving my 74 down. I'm more then likely going to leave after rush hour here or, if I'm working that night, around 11pm just to avoid all the traffic in LA. I'll know more for sure the week of

I always wonder why the left-coast people bother hosting the ZCON, when they also have the West-Coast Nationals? It seems like the same kind of event, and I hear they get more cars than the ZCON.

Check back with us in August; we will beat the number of cars that MSA gets; especially on Saturday at Qualcomm Stadium. I don't understand why this event is not on the West Coast every other year. In the end San Diego will prove to be one of the best ZCONs ever; the mold of "we have always done it that way" has to be broken.

I always wonder why the left-coast people bother hosting the ZCON, when they also have the West-Coast Nationals? It seems like the same kind of event, and I hear they get more cars than the ZCON.

Wow, have to be careful with my response here. In my opinion, the West Coast Nationals is a sales event, not a car show. Even the entrants have taken to mocking the car show portion of this event. Take a look at the 2012 stock 260Z class winners. First place was a 260Z with panels painted different colors and words spray painted on the car. ( I am searching for the pic but not finding it). Second place was Bob Heckendorf’s beautiful unrestored 260Z. Although, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I don’t consider this a serious car show. It is more than anything a great place to gather and talk Z’s and a way for Motorsports to sell a lot of parts.

It used to be a show when they held it at the park on grass with trees for shade, and the focus was on the cars. Now it’s in front of the store on the hot SoCal asphalt with focus on all of the ‘bling’ you can purchase for your Z. This is not really something that I want to bring my Z’s to.

Also, there were a lot more cars when the MSA show was in the park, so many that it was almost impossible to check each one out. Maybe the local authorities that have jurisdiction over the park won't give them permission.

It would be hard to imagine two different reasons for having a "Z car event" than the MSA show and the ZCON conventions, "IF" you consider it from the "why did we do this" point of view. That point of view comes from the organizers. Both serve to promote the marque, but one serves to have that heighted awareness enhance and sustain a private business, the other serves to promote the global visibility of the marque to ensure its lasting importance in the auto-verse. Both causes are worthy. Can't have one without the other if the current situation is any of expect to continue having our fun.

From the point of view of the "unwashed masses" (most of us), the ones that decide to attend these events, I believe there is only ONE over-reaching reason why we go. To share our love of the stupid pieces of Jap Scrap with like-minded souls, for whatever list of incredibly diverse reasons you can imagine that results in most of these events being enjoyed by most that attend. In short, I go to "have fun" and "meet new people who are like me". Sometimes I buy parts, sometimes I buy t-shirts. Sometimes I sell parts as a result of the new people I meet. It all keeps my wheels turning and my mind happy.

Some also go to have their cars judged along with the fun, with hopes of having their investment in time and money legitimized and to be recognized for their efforts. Some are happy with the result, many are not. This topic has been discussed at length here but is outside of this discussion. This situation will never change for reasons also rehashed here many times. Get over it.

So stop worrying about why these shows are held, or if one is better than the other, just go to as many as you can, and have a good time while you're there and remember to thank the organizers for your chance to have fun. The more the merrier. Let the business side be what it is.

See you all in San Diego.