IGNORED

Best Way to Paint Interior Silver Trim & Lettering

lm71z

I want to restore some parts I have, including an automatic shift plate, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows the best way to repaint the silver, rectangular outline on the shift plate. I know there was also chrome paint used on many of the panels (like the console choke plate), so I want to know where to buy this type of paint and what brushes/painting tools I will need to make this look professional. Any ideas?

There are a bunch of YouTube videos! I had not thought about checking there. There was even a video about using aluminum HVAC tape to do the same thing.

Another quickie idea is to use a silver paint pen or a silver Sharpie. I used that on some of the worn lettering on my truck dash project.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Does anyone know if the outline around the gear selector on the automatic shift plate is supposed to be silver or chrome? When it's almost all the way rubbed off, I can't tell what it originally was.

As long as we're on the subject, I was thinking about the chrome stripe on the door card. Mine has peeled away in spots. I was thinking about 3/8" wide chrome Mylar tape but haven't found any local sources.

Has anyone come up with a better idea?

I can't think of anything local, but you can get 9mm adhesive chrome trim for automotive applications on ebay. You could pick up 5m of the stuff for less than $10, which should be plenty.