IGNORED

Need restoration advice for '71 240Z in Montreal

240zmontreal

I bought this car in pretty good condition in 1986, rebuilt the engine, replaced suspension/brakes, floor and frame. I moved away for work and the car has been stored in a heated garage since 1989. The garage owners have sold their house. Keeping it isn't practical for me anymore so I'd like to get it back into shape and pass it along to another appreciative owner.

It will need work, so I would welcome any insight and experiences for restoration. I don't have the funds to do a complete restoration, but would at least like to get it functional and in sellable condition. Here are my biggest questions:

1. Recommend a mechanic in Montreal that can do an assessment and get it running;
  2. Suggestions or recommendations from those who have gone through the restoration process. I'd like to know how to do this on a budget;
  3. Recommend a place like Whitehead Performance where they could take this as a project over the winter so I can have it running in the spring. They suggested 5000-7500 to get it running i.e.: replace all hoses fluids, gas tank and some electrical work;
  4. Recommendations about whether to sell it as is or get it running and take it from there.
  5. Recommend a transport company that can ship the car to Toronto

I’m heading to Montreal this weekend (October 24-27) to pull the plugs fill the engine with varsol or oil and manually turn the engine to see if its seized. Then take pics of it and list it and hopefully make a decision.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

IMHO I would get it running and then put it on the market. The forum has some good thread about starting a car after a long period in storage and people are willing to help.

Most serious enthusiasts will want to do it themselves and dont like buying someone elses project. To do a "proper" restoration you could spend more than $25000 and get $20000 back for it and you have to find a buyer that likes the way you did it.

A finished project also lhas a reduced market with not so many buyers, where a car suitable for restoration is more desired.

Chas