IGNORED

Z35 the new 240?

240260280z

I don't think it will look anything like that artists impression.

To sum up the rumours i've heard about the new sports car concept or possible next Z for the Tokyo Motor Show:

There will be 2 new cars revealed at the Tokyo Motor Show, one a near production version of a sports car (either a new Z or an 86 competitor) , and a more wild concept car (that has already been revealed to be the BladeGlider)

New sports car will be based on the Juke 1.6 turbo platform.

New Z may have a smaller capacity engine.

Have heard criticism that the Z34 doesn't have the same look as other Nissan cars, and the next Z/sports car will have more styling cues in common with other model Nissans. (Seems to be a trend Japanese cars makers are following at the moment eg: Mazda, Toyota).

The new car will take inspiration from an old model.

Again, these are just things I've read on the net the last couple of months.

• 4 months later...
Let's consider some of the economics of the new Z car. What parts bin does Nissan plan on raiding? What platform might they use? Will the compromises be worth it?

My memory goes back to some of Carl Beck's rants about the 350Z - Too heavy, too high on the beltline (I think he said that.), too expensive, etc. It's difficult to make a cheap, fast, safe car. If Nissan adds in overboard styling to the compromises they must make for affordability, I know I wouldn't ever be in line for the car.

Carl Beck also called the 350Z concept car an "ugly toad", and I'll never forget it. LOL