? on exhaust hangers - Page 2 - Exhaust - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

? on exhaust hangers

Featured Replies

Since I'm an originality GEEK, thought I would show the NOS OEM hangars I found when restoring my series 1 car.

Stuff like this is still out there, just takes a lot of patience.

Dan

post-2148-14150825066994_thumb.jpg

post-2148-14150825067252_thumb.jpg

post-2148-14150825067497_thumb.jpg

post-2148-14150825067765_thumb.jpg

post-2148-14150825068079_thumb.jpg

post-2148-14150825068331_thumb.jpg

Nice! I've been looking for pictures of that center hanger (which attaches to the transmission) for a while now. Now... if only I could find a NOS source...

I wonder what the use of rubber hangers was for in the first place. Maybe to make up for the lack of a flex pipe in the exhaust?

A lot of places just seem to use round stock welded hangers.

I am not sure really. I think they are there to just hold them for falling/scraping. The way my Fujitsubo header fits in the transmission tunnel and is bolted to the header it doesnt move much. Hell, Ive been driving without hangers for a year (yes my exhaust is not bolted to my car other than the header)

Hell, Ive been driving without hangers for a year (yes my exhaust is not bolted to my car other than the header)

Seriously? Holy hell, that's a terrible idea!

That's a lot of bending load placed on that joint, which is also transferred to your header primaries and exhaust manifold studs. I wouldn't be surprised to see pipes getting warped and/or cracks developing. At the very least, put a support at the muffler...

I wonder what the use of rubber hangers was for in the first place. Maybe to make up for the lack of a flex pipe in the exhaust?

A lot of places just seem to use round stock welded hangers.

Rubber hangers are used for NVH reasons, as well as introducing some extra compliance to the exhaust system. Both are good things, especially the latter.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

240Z very nice exhaust, I am using the stock head pipe, which doesn't really much matter because from there back is very much like a stock exhaust. I'll keep looking for exhaust hangers.

Mike's Z yep too bad about the cutout's, would go nice on my 49 Chevy P/U which is starting to be restored.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.