IGNORED

73 240Z Wiring

Tiny Z

Six shooter, not all 73's had 4 wire tachs. There is thread a few years ago where I too made this statement but was put in my place with clear real examples of late 73's getting the 3 wire tachs. Not common, but they are out there.

TinyZ, I'll send you an PM about the harness.

Sorry to go off on a tangent... but...

It's been swapped at some point in it's life. ALL '73s have the current triggered tach. The 280Z tach swap is a popular one, so I'm not surprised that it would be swapped in your car. Looking in the FSM for '74 looks to confirm what I thought that '74 also had the current triggered tachometer.

Looking through my '74 PDF it seems to confirm the opposite:

1974 FSM page BE-33:post-21373-14150824531386_thumb.png

On page BE-37 in the '74 book it also states "this tachometer is a voltage trigger type" (as opposed to the current trigger early tachs) except they seem to have recycled the old 4 wire art. Hmmm.....

Also, all things considered, my tach has the early 7k redline face and from pulling it apart it didn't seem to be face-swapped from what I could tell, nor was there wiring harness in place for a four wire tach, leading me to believe the 3 wire tach was a mid-year '73 change at least on some cars. Late 73s have all kinds of little undocumented features in the electrical systems. (which is why I make a point of having a '72 FSM and a '74 FSM laying around at all times :cheeky:)

Edit: my car is a June '73 build date, if that is relevant to anybody in the future (or present) reading this thread

Edited by Captain_Zeros
data!

It's been swapped at some point in it's life. ALL '73s have the current triggered tach. The 280Z tach swap is a popular one, so I'm not surprised that it would be swapped in your car. Looking in the FSM for '74 looks to confirm what I thought that '74 also had the current triggered tachometer.

All 260Zs came with 3-wire, voltage-triggered tachs (with a 7k RPM redline).

• 1 month later...
I'm gonna be the inconsiderate, unkind commenter here.

If you don't know how to correctly wire up a coil / ignition circuit without even LOOKING at wiring diagram, or don't know how to READ a wiring diagram for your particular vehicle and

figure it out...

You have no business "re-wiring" your vehicle and "adding flip switches and that kind of stuff." Someone else is just going to have to clean up your mess.

As far as "not buying" or not "USING" any of the original harness --why make it easy on yourself when you can build a new harness from scratch, wire by wire?

I suggest you go find an AUTO ELECTRICIAN and pay them to wire up your basic ignition circuits for you and call it good.

Listen here "WADE" I suggest you take your high horse and ride back over to zcar.com. Youre adding to the problem you fascist. you should just sell your car "WADE" because you cant take it with you when your old arse dies. The man asked a question for help, and he probably gets a lot of people like you! you make me ashamed to have a 240z.

also to tiny z i have an uncut 1972 engine harness, i see you dont want to buy.. but ill stilll have it. here is a diagram for early cars i found on here a while ago post-29456-14150824844112_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nobsz

also to tiny z i have an uncut 1972 engine harness, i see you dont want to buy.. but ill stilll have it. here is a diagram for early cars i found on here a while ago [ATTACH=CONFIG]64618[/ATTACH]

That is for an early Z. There are differences between that one and the wiring for a 73.

Listen here "WADE" I suggest you take your high horse and ride back over to zcar.com. Youre adding to the problem you fascist. you should just sell your car "WADE" because you cant take it with you when your old arse dies. The man asked a question for help, and he probably gets a lot of people like you! you make me ashamed to have a 240z.

Cool your jets, man. Just let it go, it's not adding anything to the discussion to get upset about a post and then look for a fight, and no need to call anyone names or anything here.