IGNORED

Transmission Tunnel Vinyl Install

ggunder

I have new vinyl for my "72, but have some questions about preparing for installation. All the original carpet and vinyl was removed in this area, so I don't have much to go on. The tar mat is in excellent shape. Should I just glue the vinyl to the tar mat or can I put down a layer of Fat Mat, or maybe some other product that has some cushioning to it? I know from previous experience with a Datsun Roadster, that changing dimensions can make a difference to whether things fit later on. Thanks for your help on this simple question.

The original vinyl had jute padding under it - as I recall it was about 1/2 thick. You'll have to replace it with some type of padding - so that the new vinyl appears smooth/flat without wrinkles/creases etc. Also it is important for heat/sound insulation. Fat Mat by itself will be too thin.. Motorsports Auto used to sell the jute padding.. you might want to check with them..

FWIW

Carl B.

Two years ago I removed the transmission tunnel vinyl, and then used adhesive remover to get rid of the tar. Next was Dynamat which I covered with 1/4" Dynaliner. Both are stick-on and the Dynaliner provides cushioning and a perfect surface for the vinyl. A tremendous amount of heat and noise comes from the tunnel and this mod dramatically reduced both. Undetectable too if you take your time and do it right.

While you're at it, do the floors too.

Peter

• Agree 1

Thanks for the input, my path lies with the dynaliner I believe. I will elect not to remove the tar mat since it is in really good shape and is a pain to remove.

ggunder, just remember that the original tar mat was laid on top of bare steel, lots of restorers have found rust under the tar mat when it was removed. If your car came from a dry area you maybe fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my Dynaliner arrived yesterday, so I am ready to pull the seats and console to get started. Am I correct that the vinyl can be glued to the Dynaliner using a spray adhesive? I would hate for there to be a chemical reaction which would damage the Dynaliner.

My car has spent its whole working life in the Sacramento area, which is pretty dry so I will be leaving the tar mats in place.

Thanks for the input!