IGNORED

Champion 3 Row Radiator for 280Z Fan Shroud Mounting

AndysPlit

I recently installed this upgrade that is currently on sale at Motorsport Auto. It's a beautiful aluminum radiator that is suppose to improve cooling. The only issue I have experienced upon installation was getting the stock fan shroud to line up correctly for mounting. The radiator has two clips that slightly stick out by the top mounting holes that interfere with the shroud, hence leaves a gap between the shroud and radiator. I had to saw the clips off for the shroud to fit as flush as possible. However, the holes did not line up accurately. The best solution I found was to start with the bottom screws (yes, at the very bottom of the shroud), as those are practically the only useful ports to screw anything. The side mounting is useless unfortunately, as the holes just don't line up as they should. Also, even after sawing the clips there is still a slight gap between the shroud and radiator, but I'm hoping this will not compromise cooling too much. The small gap is due to the top of the shroud sticking out a little and not lining up correctly with the top edge of the radiator. It's a few millimeters of a gap. I'm still trying to figure out the best solution to secure the top of the shroud as there is a little play in it. Of course I could drill new holes which I am reluctant to do. Even if the side mounting was perfect, I found that the top of the fan blade would come into contact with the shroud....hence why I opted to screw the bottom first to give the blade the needed clearance.

Also to note, I had to use bolts on the other side of the radiator to secure into into the frame of the car. The aftermarket radiator has a couple quirks that I think can be worked with, but it's not as easy as a stock radiator. Has anyone else experienced these issues? Any suggestions?

Edited by AndysPlit