IGNORED

300hp?

zedhead

ey all,

just wonderin out of intrest,

wat mods would it take to get 300hp out of a stock zx turbo engine in a 240z??? is efi the only way to go in this senario? or could one use somthing like a tripple 45ml weber set up? how much cash should i be looking at for putting out this kind of horspower.

thanks

james

it would be a little hard and really expensive to get 300 hp out of an N/A straight six application, yes you could use webers but when when fuel injection is so much better.

on that same note the price you would pay for a set of webers would almost buy you a goos stand alone fuel management system from someone like SDS.

now if you were to drop a 2.8 turbo motor into your lil 240, 300 hp would not be hard to reach at all.

I'm not a turbo guy, but I'll venture a few guesses: T3/T4 turbo, bigger injectors, intercooler, boost controller, fuel management system. 300hp shouldn't be difficult at all, I know of one making 350rwhp on the stock bottom end at HybridZ.org. Forget about triple carbs. FI is the ONLY way to go for a turbo.

• 2 months later...

For me a 300hp L series is exactly that 83/280zx turbo with full drive train, high flow TO4, big intercooler, after market injection and management system.

But the real problem here is the prep of a classic Z to handle the power increase safely BIG BUCKS.

My 2c

Steve:classic:

You can get 300HP at the crank easy with the stock L28ET long block. There are people out there pushing over 400HP with a junkyard motor.

Of course to do this, you need a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, intercooling, aftermarket engine management, and lot of dyno time.

My 240 has a 83' turbo long block, and the following:

36lb/hr injectors

spearco intercooler

60mm throttle body

programable engine management

crank triggered ignition

T4b/T3 turbo

custom downpipe

etc., etc.

Over the next month or so I'll be getting it back on the dyno. It's incredibly fast. I figure it's in the 300HP ball park, but I won't know for sure until it's fine tuned on the dyno.

As far as the drivetrain handling it, no problem. I figure my car is putting around 270-300ft-lbs to the wheels, and the 280Z 5speed is holding up fine. I'm running a 3.7:1 R200 LSD, and it shows know signs of failure. I run this car in autocrosses and in 2 to 3 track events a year (it gets driven hard).

It will roast both tires in second gear easily.

Pete