IGNORED

The Lime Green Machine Restoration Thread - 1972 240Z

Hardway

Thanks for the info Chase. I am going to bleed the clutch and brakes again before messing with it. In order to pull the springs off to cut them I would have to disconnect the brake line so I have no problem giving it some time to settle. The Chevette springs I put on it are around 100lbs stronger than the stock 240z springs so I am not surprised they are sitting a little high.

You torqued the suspension with it laden, correct?

Hi Leon, Maybe I am missing something and definitely wouldnt be the first.

I thought the PU bushes could spin in their housings and its not manditory to torque the bushes at the right ride height.

When I asked a rep from Energysuspension "what the differance was between black and red bushes" he said the black bushes have grafite and tend to squeek less over time than the red bushes. The red ones may require re-lubricating.

The original bushes MUST be torqued with the suspension in the correct ride height because the outer section is press fitted and the inner section has saw teeth to bit into the lock washer. The rubber is designed to twist in its housing and should be relaxed in normal ride height.

I could fit my PU bushes by hand and didnt need a press which would indicate the bush can turn easier than twisting the hard PU rubber.

I torqued mine at the correct ride height, but that was just routine or so I thought.

Chas

I believe EuroDat is correct. The front control arms will move with only moderate effort even with everything torqued. When I had the front together the first time it say too low due to the lower springs that were on it, now it sits too high. I may let it settle this week before messing with it. First and foremost I need to get the brakes and clutch sorted out as it would be nice to drive it a little and give it a chance to absorb some bumps before cutting the springs.

Jeff......If by chance you do remove the struts to adjust the height, might I suggest that you buy a quart of single stage 112 Lime paint and paint the wheel wells with a paint brush. You can't tell the difference between a spray job and a brush job under the wells (rough texture), and you've done such a beautiful job on the struts, brakes etc. , it would really set off your restoration. Also, IMO, Eibach springs are really cheap and give you a good ride height......why not order a set so you know where you're going to end up? Nice work!

Thank you for the compliments Diseazd and the suggestions. I too have been eye'ing the wheel wells and more than likely I will paint them black versus the lime green as I am not 100% sure I will stick with the lime green later down the road. A member on here had a restored orange 240z and with the wheel wells painted orange it was just too much. Plus black is easier to keep clean. As of right now it is a low priority since its not hard to wrap up everything to mask it and then paint it.

In regards to the Eibach springs, I had seen others post up shots of how much travel their struts had with the bump stop and it did not offer enough travel. If I cannot get the Chevette springs to work the way I want then I will consider a set as I have used their springs in the past on other non-Z cars with much success.

No pics this time but an update none the less. I got the clutch and brakes adjusted almost spot on this morning. I put 5 gallons of fresh gas in it and took some spirited laps around the block. It runs really good but the carbs need a rebuild and I still need to cut the front springs half a coil, get it aligned, get the exhaust collar welded on, and inspected. Once I reach that point, phase 1 will be complete. It felt good to get behind the wheel again. I had forgotten how quick it was and look forward to getting the final items wrapped up so I can drive it some more.

Loving this project, great attention to detail!

A question - where did you find the large washers for the front tension rods? I need some new ones..

Thank you for the compliments Torby. The large washers came with the new AC Delco tension rod bushings. It's a complete kit and a very good deal in my opinion. I see you are in Norway so finding them local may be a challenge but I had to buy mine off EBay as no one local could get them.

Thank you for the compliments Torby. The large washers came with the new AC Delco tension rod bushings. It's a complete kit and a very good deal in my opinion. I see you are in Norway so finding them local may be a challenge but I had to buy mine off EBay as no one local could get them.

Ok, thanks for the answer! I have some Prothane bushes to go there, but they didn't come with new washers. My old ones are, well, old and dirty. :rolleyes: I'll have a look around ebay, so far I haven't been able to find just the washers themselves.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to more updates! :classic: