IGNORED

My two swiss S30Z Fairlady Restoration build thread

JDMjunkies.ch

A while ago i started the assembly of the Pedalbox. While i still wait for some small components like the flasher unit and the Brake light switch i couldn't resist assembling all the shiny new zinc-plated and powdercoated parts :)
After putting the new rubber to the pedals i installed them to the box with the fresh plated bolts.
P1140105-Kopie.jpg

Then the stopper bolts and springs came in.
P1140106-Kopie.jpg

Looks brilliant, doesn't it? :)
P1140107-Kopie.jpg

here's a comparison between the old crappy one (right side) and the completely rebuilt one, left.
P1150452-Kopie.jpg

Oh and while at it i did the throttle pedal as well :)
P1140446-Kopie.jpg

Oh and then i have some good news from Japan again soon :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a truckload of parts on my way from Japan, but other than that i don't have too much news. Im going to be out of country most of the time of the rest of the year for some business trips and some long-needed vacation. However i wanted to get some stuff done before i leave and mainly it was about cleaning up the mess in the garage. I've collect parts from two chassis and the internet and put them in various boxes but somehow i lost the overview over time so i wanted to have that fixed. this is what it looked like before i started cleaning yesterday:
P1150495-Kopie.jpg

P1150496-Kopie.jpg

So i started sorting all parts from various boxes to other ones and marking everything nicely to find the parts whenever i need them :)
P1150498-Kopie.jpg

And while in the garage anyway i decided to remove the old brake calipers from the front struts
P1150497-Kopie.jpg

And out they are :)
P1150499-Kopie.jpg

And then also removed the moustage bar from the rear diff and figoured out everything was covered in a thick layer ouf some rubber-stuff. Probably the diff was leaking at one point and they putt this nasty stuff on it to get it fixed cheaply. Anyhow the diff will get a full rebuild or R200 swap (haven't made any desicion yet). so that won't be a problem ;)
P1150500-Kopie.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah i know - the pace is quite slow lately, but im still working on the project silently in the background. But today is the day i have som GREAT news for you. I got a Package delivered from Japan with some parts i've been looking for over two years now until i recently stumbled across them finally :)
P1150541-Kopie.jpg

I'm talking about the Sumitomo MK63 brakes. But what's so rare about them you might ask? they pop up every now and then on the internet. But this is not your standard MK63 for vented disk, but the very rare first gen. version for OEM Nissan disks, which are FIA homologated and were used in various ex works racing cars. I've even been told that nissan asked them back after the races from their teams.. wow :)
P1150543-Kopie.jpg

Here's a comparison between the standard brake (Also sumitomo manufactured) and the MK63:
P1150544-Kopie.jpg

I plan to restore / rebuild the new brakes before they go in.P1150545-Kopie.jpg

P1150546-Kopie.jpg

And here's some specs from the NISMO homepage and the old Datsun performance catalogue:
DatsunCompetitionPartsCatalog-13-Kopie.j

Later NISMO offered the same brakes under their brand but they're obsolete since a few years..img_mk63caliper_en-Kopie.gif

Oh and while ordering parts from japan anyway i decided to order all available maintenance and refurbishing parts for the brakes from the NISMO / Nissan catalogue and got them delivered from a local Nissan dealership from Yokohama :)P1150538-Kopie.jpg

Very nice.  I enjoy seeing what you've been able to accomplish in this project, especially because you're working in a relatively small garage space (and I think we all know that you can never have a garage space that's too big).

Can you share some tips on buying parts off the internet from Japan-based vendors?  For example:

• Do you direct-shop from vendors' websites, or are you searching through eBay-type auction listings? 

• Do you speak/read Japanese, or are you using an online translator? 

• How are you able to understand, and then select/negotiate, the shipping arrangements?  Or do you work through a broker in Japan?
  • Like 1

Very nice.  I enjoy seeing what you've been able to accomplish in this project, especially because you're working in a relatively small garage space (and I think we all know that you can never have a garage space that's too big).

Can you share some tips on buying parts off the internet from Japan-based vendors?  For example:

• Do you direct-shop from vendors' websites, or are you searching through eBay-type auction listings? 

• Do you speak/read Japanese, or are you using an online translator? 

• How are you able to understand, and then select/negotiate, the shipping arrangements?  Or do you work through a broker in Japan?

Thanks for the kind words and feedback. Indeed i wish i had a bigger and better equipped garage. But that's a future project i guess :)

Regarding your questions. let me explain.

I used to have an JDM-parts import company 10-7 years ago as a side-business, but due to lack of time i decided to stop that.

I still have my old business-partner in Japan which collects and ships the parts for me for  a small fee.

For new parts i buy them directly from t he japanese manufacturer through my Partner in Japan.

For used parts i usually check Yahoo auctions every now and then and ask my partner in Japan to bid on them to my max price. He will have the parts shipped to his place and then send them to my place...

I speak a few sentences japanese and i can read some basic car-related information but normally i use google translator to understand the rough information. If i need better translation my japanese partner will help me out. So regarding that i'm in a very comfortable position.

Now before you ask me i don't do import business anymore to strangers. I help my old customers and good friends every now and then getting some parts into switzerland but due to lack of time i will not help people around the world getting hands on the niec stuff. there's enough other companies specialized in that, i'm sorry :)

Edited by JDMjunkies.ch

• 1 month later...

After i was on a long vacation and visited tokyo auto salon as well (see tons of pictures on www.JDMjunkies.ch) im finally back at the project..

Good news guys. I thought it's about time to get the project rolling a bit faster again. that's why i'm currently preparing a few things. However thanks to my buddy stev (big thank you again, buddy!) i was able to get hands on another NOS piece: A New-Old-Stock Datsun Front lower center valance Panel thingy. Probably the last Bodypanel which was missing. Well i had one but it was rustend and totally crushed so this came in handy :)

With partnumber and everything :)

Oh and last week i got this picture from my bodyshop, letting me know that the car is back at the main workspace and ready to crank work up again. Hope to get some updates from him soon :)IMG-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The 240Z Project has been really cooking on a low flame last year. I was too busy with my Job and travelling. Luckily this year started out smoother and i'm really working to get back on the Z-Project. I Ordered one expensive part which will show up in a few months but so far i started reading a lot about the Z, because i forgot most of the things i knew maybe two years ago since i never used them :) However im starting to make plans for the next small projects of the Project and i'm super excited about it. However before i started to work on car bits, i had to get rid of the mess in my home-workshop (aside from my garage i have a little hobby-room for small work and parts-storage at home). So i bought some new shelves, moved everything and this is how it ended up. I'm super happy with it :)
P1160806 - Kopie

I can finally work without searching for the right parts and tools for half of the time :)P1160807 - Kopie

Then it was time to complete a simple but not-so-simple job i've started a while ago. Before i had the Door locks replated a while ago i removed the old damper rubbers and after i never figured out how to get them back in, i never did it.P1160809 - Kopie

Today i decided it was time to complete the job :) So took an old toothbrush and scalpel to remove old glue from the rubber. then washed it in the sink with some warm water and dishwashing soap. worked fine :) Then took me quite a while to figure out how to get the Rubber back in without damaging it, but finally got it after 30mins of fiddling around. Added some of the Super glue like it was from factory, but the rubber sits so tight, i doubt the glue is really needed. Just a small job, but one more box ticked on the 2-do list :)P1160811 - Kopie

• Like 1

Got a bit bored from all the reading an investigation in front of the computer, so decided for my own pleasure to test-assembly my rebuild steering colum together with the HKB Steering boss kit and the RS-watanabe falcon steering wheel (Horn button not installed). Nothing big, but enjoyed how it ended up. Now trying to figure out how i can clean the multifunctional steering wheel switches to get them back on the column :)
P1160819 - Kopie

P1160820 - Kopie

• Like 1

I Decided to visit my Bodyshop and talk to my Panelbeater Yves about the progress of my car. Remember it was more than 15 months since he last worked on it, because it's still a side-project. Lucky me he just began working on the car today. Not a lot to show you but i hope for some updates soon. And i'm more than happy with any progress :)
P1160823 - Kopie

As you can see he just started work on the floorpans. And the good thing is i already have another apointment with him for the next week. so pretty sure there are some nice news :)
P1160822 - Kopie