IGNORED

5 speed knob reproduction?

Decoy12

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-240Z-260Z-280Z-NEW-NOS-Shift-Knob-5-Speed-Walnut-Wood-8mm-/150923062868?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2323b72e54&vxp=mtr

I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone that reproduces the JDM 5 speed wooden shift knobs. I had a JDM one accidentally fall and the plastic lense/gear map shattered :cry: :sick: I was hoping that someone made a repro I could buy? :(

211ib.jpg

HERE....................FWIW ,,, not 200$ not 150$ not even 50$ ,,,,,,,,,,,39$ in your car same week ;)

Edited by 72 OJ

And, Most Importantly, NOT an ORIGINAL Z PART! Not in my Z ever!

That ad is a great example of an one written to confuse the uninformed by a seller with has a long and documented history of changing his business/ebay name and playing with descriptions to make them ambiguous so as to muddy the truth they hold. That may well be a "NEW NOS" Datsun Shift knob, but it is not one that Nissan ever put in a Z!

Edited by hls30.com

Here is the knob I was referring to, it was off of a 75 Fairlady Z. Looks just like the wood USDM 4 speed that came on the 240z, but with a 5th speed on it. I believe the seller is on this site, but this is the only picture I have that the seller sent me of the knob before it broke. I have a friend that has a nice one I will see if he can post it later.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57175[/ATTACH]

The Ebay knob is almost identical to the above as per the original OP.......... and 39$ , real wood, no delay plus a perfect fit , BTW the vendor has good feedback ;)

Edited by 72 OJ

OJ, ..."Almost identical"...is that really the way you see these:

post-4106-14150820859153_thumb.jpg

Two knobs, one is an OEM early S30 5speed knob that is in a bit better shape than the one the OP pictured, and the other is the aftermarket one in the ebay ad...These really look almost identical to you?

Admittedly the ebay ad is described as a walnut, but can you make out any of the grain in that seriously painted up dark shiny black knob? Even in the OPs picture you can clearly see the grain of the wood. Then lets look at the underside engraved black and white painted OEM emblem vs the Enameled Black, black red and chrome one on the ebay ad...Really, almost Identical...

I gotta say I don't consider them even close! I would never have considered an oem wood and embossed plastic clear, black, and white knob to be almost identical to that shiny "walnut" knob-devoid of any hint of grain with a metal chrome-plated knob highlighted with Black, Red.

From many detailed things you have posted, I am very surprised that you would call these "almost identical".

I would call them both 5 shift knobs with an 8mm threaded insert, but to my eye they are about as far apart as MG V8 and an LS1;), You don't see those as identical do you?;)

I see them as I see these shift knobs, similar but no where close to almost identical.

BTW if a buyer didn't know it wasn't an original shift knob and they received a good looking new shift knob would they wait until they discovered that the Shift knob was not original to a Z to leave feedback? Good feedback does not necessarily mean a seller is honest, only that the buyer may not know better.

post-4106-14150820859564_thumb.jpg

Edited by hls30.com

Almost is almost , the OP ask for help, so I clearly put FWIW on my response , no need to scream my GA Bulldog Fan. BTW the pictures are not at the same scale , that particular knob has the same size as the one that came from Nippon :cool:

Edited by 72 OJ

Almost is almost , the OP ask for help, so I clearly put FWIW on my response , no need to scream my GA Bulldog Fan :cool:

Hold on~! Just because I live in Georgia and I have many pictures of a Red '73 with black interior does not mean I am automatically a Georgia Fan. I know far more about these shift knobs than I do about Georgia Football-I know more about UGA the bulldog than I know about Georgia Football-though I do know the Jekyll Island Club is hosting a dinner with Vince Dooley this weekend-you see Ga/FL weekend interferes with celebrating my wedding anniversary in the way that I would like!

Edited by hls30.com

OJ, ..."Almost identical"...is that really the way you see these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57283[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]57282[/ATTACH]

Two knobs, one is an OEM early S30 5speed knob that is in a bit better shape than the one the OP pictured, and the other is the aftermarket one in the ebay ad...These really look almost identical to you?

Exactly what I was referring to, I want to replace the one that broke! I actually own this knob:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240z-77-78-OEM-5-Speed-Leather-Shift-Knob-/251124421748?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a782e9474&vxp=mtr

...but the wood one was so much better! I looked for a long time for that JDM knob and was a bummer seeing it break.

Not to deviate from the topic, but 280~Master is also correct, my friend bought a "rebuilt" engine... looked good on the outside, but was dirty on the inside when they pulled it apart. Even though his store is in the next town over, I would steer clear as well.

Datsun-Parts is a known problem vendor. This last ID, "DATSUN-PARTS" is the longest standing ID he has ever had.

Here is his ID history:

User ID-------------------Effective Date------------End Date

datsun-parts................May-01-07...................Present

ur-gelis.......................Oct-21-04....................May-01-07

bad-mfr .....................May-12-03....................Oct-21-04

absolutely-ghetto.........Mar-03-03....................May-12-03

2602nv.......................Mar-20-02....................Mar-03-03

Those of us who have followed his history, recall when his reputation was poor, reliability was questionable, and many people had valid complaints that weren't satisfied or addressed.

While he may have turned over a new leaf and is maybe now a valid vendor, he still has a lot of baggage with a lot of members to overcome.

Do a search for ur-gelis and you'll find a LOT of disatisfied clients just amongst the membership here. The previous names also had additional bad history.

He racks up "good" feedback from newbies who don't know from whom to buy, and WHAT to buy, and only later discover they were hood-winked. Sadly those noobies often continue to think it was their fault and not the vendors.

If you look at the shift knob offered, as it has been pointed out, you can see that it is NOT "almost identical".

If it were, the OP would have jumped on that one some time ago.

One person's "equal" is another's "not-even-close", which is where this club is so helpful at finding the CORRECT answers.

FWIW

E