IGNORED

Young man seeking advice

JuanJaime

So I recently bought this Z (October of last year). Paid 925 bucks for the car, two giant tupperware containers full of parts (mostly ventilation hoses and some cam gears) and a 280 parts car of which the year is unknown. The previous owner claimed that the motor had been rebuilt 8000 miles ago and it ran quite well. It did in fact, run quite well. It came equipped with a set of homemade 6 into 1 headers, Bob Sharp Racing intake manifold along with the complimentary 390 cfm carb, misc ignition goodies, a close ratio gearbox out of younger 280zx and a pair of faux nismo bucket seats. I thought I was set. Of course upon closer inspection I began to realize that the car was almost entirely composed of rust...But it ran so well! :cry: Oh well. So now i'm wondering, would it be worthwhile to cut out all of the rust from the frame, fab up new rails and such, or should I just part this car out and start from scratch. Can anyone please lend me their opinions on what they did in similar situations? I will let it be known that under no condition will I outsource any of the labor for the car. I am currently in school for auto-body, though I have little to no experience in restoring older vehicles. I have several pictures of the car and its undercarriage in my profile gallery. Thank you in advance, for your patience.

Juan

Edited by JuanJaime

Well, as I see it, there's good news and even better news.

The good news... you're in school for auto-body: you'll definitely have a LOT to work with and learn from this car.

The better news... by the time you're done, you'll have a PhD in Auto Body.... that whole front end needs some serious work, without beginning on the floor pans, and the rocker panels and the rear valance...

In other words, with enough time and money it can be salvaged but, in all honesty, you may be better off getting a better frame car and transplanting your good running gear and engine into it.

FWIW

E

Hey Juan, here is my two cents. Get rid of the car! I know from experience you will never get the car "straight" again and you will be so overwhelmed by the whole ordeal, you will either go crazy, go bald or go broke trying to fix it. You will be so frusterated you will quit and develop a deep, deep hatred for that car. Believe me, get rid of that car! Keep all the small parts, nuts and bolts or anything of value because you will need it later if you find another body. If you do decide to keep it, get a tetnus shot before you begin.

Yeah, i've considered this. LOL I know it will never ever be truly straight again, but i just figured maybe the car could be fixed just enough to make something non-original and more rest-omod, like an RB powered car or v8 swap. Do you guys think it's to the point of just selling for scrap or could it be a candidate for a costume build? I've seen cars like 32 coupes and old willy's start out from what seemed like mere slivers of metal and they ended up being complete costume builds, all from MUCH less than what I'm starting with.

Yeah, i've considered this. LOL I know it will never ever be truly straight again, but i just figured maybe the car could be fixed just enough to make something non-original and more rest-omod, like an RB powered car or v8 swap. Do you guys think it's to the point of just selling for scrap or could it be a candidate for a costume build? I've seen cars like 32 coupes and old willy's start out from what seemed like mere slivers of metal and they ended up being complete costume builds, all from MUCH less than what I'm starting with.

Those Coupes and Willys are also body-on-frame vehicles, meaning the frame can be replaced/repaired separate from the body. Not so on the (unibody) Z. Start with the best body you can unless you like to spend countless hours cutting, fabricating and welding.

Good advice above from those with experience. Not a restorer, body man or anything, but I've got a old chevy 6 truck that runs great but has horrible rust. Had to rebuild the door frames & sills with fiberglass & SS mesh.

I'd get a gallon or two of phosphoric acid, a paint brush, goggles & rubber gloves. Spent a few hours or days, hit a the rust you can reach with a wire brush, paint it all twice with the ospho, then say the hell with it. Swap out the filters, fluids, plugs and rubber hoses, and just drive. $925 is pretty good for a car that runs.