IGNORED

Msa 6-1 header installed and it's alive !!!!!!

fuzze

Hello all , after receiving my order two weeks ago we finally got to the header install yesterday . My 17 year old son Ian is a grade A mechanic and my go to always for these kind of jobs . we got it all apart and of course took reference photos . cleaned the carbs with some varsol and used some aluminum brightener on the balance tube and manifolds and then we started to dry fit the parts to be sure of fitments . when we were doing that job we realized that the stud closest to the fire wall had been cut to fit the old header and we knew right away we had a problem on our hands . tried the standard method to remove by using two nuts and the stud would not budge , abit of heat and the 50-50 mix of lacquer thinner , acetone and still nothing . Ok worst case scenario I welded a nut to the stub with high hopes , yea u guessed right , the stud snapped . Fortunately there was a least 5 threads still left so we had to come up with a mcgyver . One of the nuts on the old header wasn't normal , it was like a coupler that allowed us to trim a new stud to size and fit it into the coupler allowing for a now extended stud that extended past the thicker flange on the new header and just like magic we were back to the the install . A little over two hrs later and with some new atf oil in the carbs and a couple of cranks and my entire hood could hear what a 71 z sound like with a wide open header . Now off to the muffler shop in the morning for a 2.5 inch mandrel bent stainless pipe to my new magnaflow universal flow through muffler and we are cooking with fire . And yes for those who r wondering ,I am driving my Z to the shop about two miles away . I am going to go during the rush hour and crawl my way there and hope for the best ! I did not have to trim anything from the tranny to make it fit , I do have a 5 speed swap .

i have posted some pics and am curious , does anyone recognize who might of made the old header ?

Thanks for everyone tips that allow this forum to be so successful .

Zya later , Chris

post-15588-14150820270801_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150820271491_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150820272089_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150820272688_thumb.jpg

post-15588-14150820273275_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the install! It is interesting that you did not have to trim the bell housing a little on your 5spd. Is your 5spd from a 280z or a 280zx? Mine is from a ZX and required trimming but it was no big deal. Looking forward to hearing your review with the new muffler installed.

Hello hardway , I jut took a quick look and the only id reference # on the tranny is on the passenger side and it says '' L 5 '' . The po did the swap and to fit the console they trimmed the very front so you could shift to 5th gear . The header clears the bell housing with a half inch to spare . could not get my car on the lift today so tomorrow morn I changed my appointment to . Too bad about the trimming as the interior is spotless other than minor crack in dash , oh well . What else could indicate a 280 or zx tranny ?

Chris

Hello hardway , I jut took a quick look and the only id reference # on the tranny is on the passenger side and it says '' L 5 '' . The po did the swap and to fit the console they trimmed the very front so you could shift to 5th gear . The header clears the bell housing with a half inch to spare . could not get my car on the lift today so tomorrow morn I changed my appointment to . Too bad about the trimming as the interior is spotless other than minor crack in dash , oh well . What else could indicate a 280 or zx tranny ?

Chris

• 280Z trans may have 2 "ears" with slots for exhaust hanger mounting, instead of 1 (located on the bottom of the trans, below the shifter)
  • Speedo pinion retaining screw is at the 12 o'clock position on 280Z, 6 o'clock on late-ZX
  • 280Z shifter has different shifter bushings than ZX
  • 280Z trans has fill plug on the left side, late-ZX may have it on the right
  • 280Z trans has a larger spread between 2nd and 3rd gear, and 5th is very close to 4th (500rpm drop 4-5 on a 3500rpm shift on 280Z vs 900rpm on the late-ZX)

I believe the boss that needs to be trimmed when installing that header is only on the late-ZX trans.

Hello leon v , my trans filler is on the left side and as far as 5th gear it is very seldom used unless I'm on the highway to Whistler or making time on the freeway going to Kelowna .

Our vins must be close as my Z is a 2/71 build as well .

Chris

Hello leon v , my trans filler is on the left side and as far as 5th gear it is very seldom used unless I'm on the highway to Whistler or making time on the freeway going to Kelowna .

Our vins must be close as my Z is a 2/71 build as well .

Chris

If you take a picture of the trans, near the tail section, underneath the car we should be able to ID it easily.

Nice! My 240Z is HLS30-22344.