IGNORED

new injectors...what a difference!

rcb280z

I bought these injectors for my 77 280 about a year ago and finally got a chance to install them last weekend. It's an easy job. Have done it a few times on other Z cars. Before I bought them I had mine cleaned and didn't really notice a difference after that. So I decided to bite the bullet and buy new ones. What a difference! I run an in line fuel pressure gauge between the fuel filter and fuel rail. Ever since I installed it I can observe it bleeding off pressure over about a 2 hour period. It bleeds down to zero. It still does. Was hoping that it was one of the old injectors dripping but it was not. I know it's not the FPR because it is new so it must be the check valve in the pump. Oh well no big deal because here is the good part, even after the pressure bleeds down to zero the car starts immediately! It is so nice to have it start the way it used to. However, I now have the "hard to start" problem after it sits for 15-20 minutes. I know vapor lock isn't supposed to happen in fuel injection but that is the symptoms. I bet if I install the heat shield back it should help. Took it off last year to install new intake/exhaust gasket and wanted to clean it up before reinstall but haven't done that yet. It is so nice to jump into the car it fire right up (when cold) like it used to. Even idles better than it did. Now on to the next issue...sounds like the left rear strut is broken.

Glad to hear the new injectors worked out well for you. I have been in the same boat several times with 3rd Gen F-bodies and their TPI systems. If your car had a heat shield you definitely want to put it back on. The exhaust manifold or header creates a lot of heat and can bake your intake manifold. Once you reinstall the heat shield post up your results and if it does not help we can look at some other things. Sorry to hear about the broken rear strut, not a fun job but worthwhile to get it done.

Aren't you the one that bought Standard FJ707's? I got those and agree with you completely. It's like having a new car. And my gauge also bled down after awhile but I still get sprayed with gas taking off a fuel line. I took my gauge off and did away with the restrictive "T" I had made out of brass brake line fittings. Now it sits in my drawer of test equipment for when I might need it. I put a clear glass filter right before the fuel rail.

post-24724-14150820143586_thumb.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

I did buy those but I don't think I'm "the one" you are talking about. I can't install a fuel rail like the one you have here in CA. It's not "correct". And they will fail you here on a smog inspection. But mine is fine anyway. I thought those clear glass filters were not rated high enough for our EFI. Hmm.

Hardway, I agree about the heat shield. Just been too lazy to get it to fit after installing the exhaust header. Im sure it's my problem, though a small problem it is.