IGNORED

What is the purpose of this plate and will it affect my installing a new sway bar?

cronoz78

What is the purpose of this plate and will it affect my installing a new sway bar? It just seems to be bolted there, for protection?

The Suspension Techniques 52100 sway bars are thicker and there is maybe 2mm clearance between the top of this _____ plate.

post-25853-14150819731032_thumb.jpg

30 Ounce, you're right, apparently, that it's a vibration or noise damper. Maybe it helps with the clunk. But the four plates on the front are stock. They all look like that, like someone learned how to weld while making them. I have a couple sitting n my garage. Many people take them off, and don't notice any difference.

Clearance is clearance though. Do you need more than 2 mm?

Well that isnt helping my diff clunk for sure (even after I installed Techoversions Diff mount). I have to look elsewhere for that noise. LOL

Yes the weight does look home made, thats the first thing I thought.

Regarding the space needed Im not sure how much, I just needed to know if the new swaybar will fit before I order it. I don't want it touching or being to close to avoid any interference between the 2 pieces. Maybe I will have to grind the welds of one of those blocks.

It's a mass damper and it's not for clunk, but rather for another NVH error state like moan. By now, it's unlikely to accomplish whatever it was designed to do. I'd be willing to bet Nissan added it at the last minute and never fixed the original issue. These are common in modern cars and can be found on almost any new car regardless of brand. They are most common on exhausts, but could be anywhere.

I have a huge bar on my 260 and it still clears the mass damper. If you want to remove it or need to for clearance, go right ahead. You most likely won't feel any difference.

For what it's worth, I've removed mine and haven't noticed any unusual or irritating noises or vibrations. I have an RT-style diff mount also, so with the weight removed and no bottom diff mount, the cross bar with the suspension mounting points is much cleaner plus I have more ground clearance. Extra benefits.

Ok, Good to know. I just wanted to make sure i dont ruin what it was intended for by trimming it or removing it all together.

@5thhorsemann, yes I have seen diff oil only at the propeller shaft, I havent seen any on the driveway so the diffy oil must be low, at least to the bottom of that seal. I have no idea how to fix that one just yet or what part to get. ie I have not researched this issue yet. Funny thing is that I just got some Redline to change both the tranny and diff oil today. Gasket Seal may take priority now.

Thanks All