IGNORED

Rate the available mechanical fuel pumps

Stanley

Seems like there are fewer options for new mechanical fuel pumps. Airtex seems to have taken over but they've gotten a lot of bad reviews online. MSA sold me a Kyosan (maybe rebuilt) a few years back; the one they show now is unnamed but looks like an Airtex#1080. Autozone and O'reilly have Airtex and a generic, Pep boys have that plus Carter #P60504. Beck-Arnley #1515725 is available. Bosch #68909 seems to be NLA, not listed on their site. That all I could find. All unrebuildable cheapies, looks like. Any recommendations for a good fuel pump? Will keep the Kyosan to rebuild someday per Arne's article if I can find the parts, but need to decide on something.

One thing to bear in mind - most of the different available "brands" of fuel pumps for the 240Z today are simply re-boxes of either the Airtex or the Kyosan. The trick is to determine which one is actually in the box. Also, there's no guarantee that what's in the box will always be the same. It's definitely a pain to deal with.

Stanley:

I got a Kyosan fuel pump from Auto Parts Warehouse Item # W0133-1758912. It was $18.95 and it works well.

Dave Ruiz

Was that cast aluminum or sheetmetal top? Thought the Kyosans all had screws but appearantly not. Looks like the new ones are sheetmetal and look like Airtex; don't know which would arrive.

Kyosan is owned by Toyota according to search this morning; they (and Beck-Arnley) brag about "Global sourceing" on their sites. I wanted Kyosan because I thought they were made in japan. Carter claims made in USA but I dunno.

Pep boys has Carter M60107 for about $50, Beck-Arnley about $70. They have 1 yr warranty for Carter, lifetime for B-A, both of those have screws according to the pics on their computer.

My point is that you shouldn't trust the pictures on the web pages, since they are all re-boxes the actual product inside the box could change at any time. If I were in the market now I'd want to buy from someone who offered a no-questions return policy, so that I could return it if it turned out to not be the right unit.

• 1 year later...

Reviving this old thread to add some information to help those who are also looking to replace their mechanical pump. I pulled my Kyosan Denki pump in August with a Carter M60107. I bought it because it looked like the old pump in the online pictures but when it arrived it looked like one of the cheaper sealed pumps but I just assumed I bought the wrong part. A few months later my car is suddenly starves for fuel when going up a particular long but not very steep hill. I ordered another M60107 from Rockauto and sent the old one back as a warranty return but I got the same sealed pump. Noticed some markings on the body that read "1080 4513"....the Carter M60107 is now the airtex unit and ive asked a number of sources that all describe the M60107 as a pump with no screws and a yellow/gold finish. Dont bother buying the Carter since youre just getting the airtex. Now to find a diaphragm for my kyosan denki...

"You will find it equal to or an improvement over the original pump"...ha!

Edited by porkbun

Another problem with the stamped steel FP's, the hose barbs look like they're non-removable. So if you want to use AN fittings or tee in a hose with AN fittings for a fuel pressure gauge, you're out of luck.

Couple months ago, saw an article online about Carter fuel pumps. It said Federal-Mogul, that previously owned Carter, had sold it because F-M is dumping all it's factories in countries with high wages (they said it differently, to sound better). Supposedly, the new owners of the Carter (USA) factory were keeping the employees and continuing to produce fuel pumps.

So I went to my local independent auto parts store, told them I needed the old style pump, and they ordered a Carter M60107. When it showed up it was stamped steel type, in a Federal-Mogul box that said made in Japan. The parts man said I can bring in the old one to be rebuilt, though. Have an old Nikki so might do that. Also might email Carter about this topic if I can find their contact information.

Ive seen some ads for NOS pumps for ~$90. Most annoying part is that the original pump was working fine but the diaphragm cracked while sitting in the back of my car. Maybe pouring some oil inside and capping off both ends will help it store better? Im pretty sure the updated part # for the 240Z/260Z diaphragm is 17053-W5301 and the cheapest I can find it online is ~$20 shipped.