IGNORED

Why Fuse Box melt down

RedBird64

Wade, I loved my TR3. Once used a hemp rope in place of the fan belt to get her home. Ah, those were the days.

Mike

Hy,

I too, was a TR3 and later, a TR4 owner that were both raced (EP and DP classes) in the late 60s and early 70s. Yes, that "Prince of Darkness" did visit our camp any number of times.

BTW, your Pastoral rendition of how electrical corrosion can lead to a smoking mess was superb!

Many happy trails!

So, for the general audience, the moral of this diatribe, do the maintenance periodically by cleaning those fuse terminals and the fuse ends themselves.

Just keep in mind that cleaning your fuse holder contacts - will not save your Light Switch. The best solution is to relay the headlights - and lower the voltage going through the switch and fuse box to begin with. It is a very simple fix.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Just keep in mind that cleaning your fuse holder contacts - will not save your Light Switch. The best solution is to relay the headlights - and lower the voltage going through the switch and fuse box to begin with. It is a very simple fix.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks Carl B.

I'm learning very quickly from you guys. I've heard about the headlight deal, as well. I thinking, this Z cars wiring is far worst than Lucas! LOL!

I took each fuseholder out and soldered both ends of the rivets and the connections each wire made to the fuseholder assemblies. I also did the headlight relay upgrade to make the headlight switch last forever. I also soldered the two heavy white wires to their connectors (alternator and battery wires I believe) that are plugged together above the passenger's right knee area (USA models) and then plastered them inside with dielectric grease. The clear vinyl covers of those two connectors showed signs of overheating (black) giving me a clue they needed attention. I sure can see the wisdom of other routes such as fuse box replacement.

I used to have a (69?) Triumph GT6 Mk3, the headlight switch kept falling out of the dash. Can't remember if there were other issues but I was amazed anyone would build a car with such lousy switches. Did Lucas have no sense of quality?

Mike

This is a drawing I made of what I saw when I took the fuseholder assemblies out:

post-18366-1415081910407_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikes Z car