IGNORED

S130 tank in an S30?

Well, it's finally time to start working on my '76 280Z. It's been sitting for 10 years, and I've recently confirmed that there was at least a gallon or two of fuel in it at the time that it was parked. The tank is the first thing that I'm going to go after, but I have a question about it.

I have an '81 280ZX that I use for parts on my '83. Would that tank fit the '76? If so, it seems like it would be easier to pull that tank, clean it out, and then just do a clean swap.

What do you guys think? This is my first try at an S30, and I'm super excited to get it running!

Thanks!

I just finished a fuel tank restoration on my 240, using POR-15's excellent fuel tank reseal kit. My car had been sitting for 8 years and there were about two gallons of varnish-y, syrupy gas in there when I drained it. Clean as a whistle now inside and all sealed up. Not a difficult task. Hardest part was reinstalling the tank.

Confused by this:

If so, it seems like it would be easier to pull that tank, clean it out, and then just do a clean swap.

If you're going to clean and reseal a tank anyway, why not just pull the 280's?

Well the '81 is in my woodshop; a pretty good place to do a project like that. The '76 is at my wife's uncle's house burried under boxes. So I figured if I could do that, I'd only have to transport a tank once. It's not a huge deal, just inconvenient.

In retrospect, I suppose I didn't buy a 35 year old japanese car that's been parked for 10 years for the convenience of it all :-P

:) True, our cars are neither convenient nor, contrary to what many would call them, investments—except for a select few, that is.

Do what you gotta do, I suppose. Personally, I'd drive the 5 miles, drop the 280's tank and bring it back home to work on it, then return and reinstall it. And as Steve pointed out, this is almost certainly your only option anyway, given compatibility issues.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll have to do. Oh well.

Where did you get the POR15 kit?

Google "POR-15 gas tank". Buy it directly from them online. Since you are in AZ, there is a chance that your tank is in great shape other than the crusty fuel. If so, try cleaning it first prior to resealing it. I have gone through several tanks and it's an extensive project to do it right. If you don't do it EXACTLY right, you are throwing a lot of time and money away and will end up looking for a good tank to buy.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll have to do. Oh well.

Where did you get the POR15 kit?

If so, try cleaning it first prior to resealing it.

Here it is:

http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/FTRK/

I've used the kit twice now, once on my old Audi 4000 and recently on the Z. Both times worked great. The kit includes a cleaner, rust remover and sealant. I will say that as with all POR-15 stuff, you have to follow their instructions to the letter, if not, it won't work. Also, make sure you keep the fuel feed and return lines clear of sealant; it'll clog them and is impossible to remove once set. Good luck!

I am about to use that same POR-15 kit.

You guys are going to think I am pulling your leg or am involved in the production of the red green show but a co-worker says he has cleaned gas tanks by dropping a couple of handfuls of pointy shaped pebbles into a tank and then has strapped the tank to a tractor tire with the tractor jacked up off of the ground. Then he starts the tractor and runs it for a an hour or two and lets the turning tank and tire cause the rocks clean the tank out. I wonder how that would look with a tank strapped to the tire on my old car in the driveway? Not sure how red green would solve the fender clearance though