IGNORED

New member needs help w/260 V8 swap

Akir-ra

Hello out there Z fellow lovers...I am purchasing a 74 260 and need some help with V8 swap info...Based upon the existing existing original rearend...and a 2" lowering, with new bushings all around...Wjhat size engine should I be looking for.I want some serious power but am not sure about the suspension/body..I don't want something so powerful that I'd twit the body in any way..I was thinkg somewhere in the 300hp Chevy 350 range..any ideas..? Thanks in advance..

Akir-ra

• 2 months later...

Just adding my two cents. Everyone seems to be going with a small block chevy engine. I've heard a hopped up mopar engine works wonders. But what do I know. A california man named darius has a 240Z with roughly 500-600, so I've heard and they say he has no troblems with the torque of the engine. Will good luck, and remeber you don't have to take my word for it.

:eek: On another note, if you plan to good all out and want it to make it a ultra-high performace car I found a forum that you may be interested in. They are very helpful with a lot of techie information like how and what you need to mod the car out. Let me know if your interested. I could give you the web site.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to see the a high performance Z forum go to http://hybridz.org/main.htm find the forums section. These guys are every knowlegde able about Z's and engine swaps. These guys a cool and seriously hardcore. If you get a chance check out some of there pics of their rides. Almost any engine has been tried and tested(not really, but there are a lot of divers guys there. I found the answer of a 7mgte (87-93 supra turbo) engine swap. So give them a look and for the vids of darius go to: http://taner.equinix.com/darius/ the vids take really long to load and are cool, but some people can't wait that long of a video so it is worth a shot is you have a lot of time to kill.

• 1 month later...

Heh, I made the opposite crossover: I am from www.hybridz.org, and just found 240z.org.

First thing you want to do is spend $40 the best way possible: order a JTR (Jags That Run) v8 conversion book.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/

Even if you choose not to use their method (although pretty much everyone on hybridz.org agrees with this being the most cost effective and best functionality combination), it'll still provide tons of useful information as to what you need to look towards when doing the V8 swap.

To answer your question...

Based upon the existing existing original rearend...and a 2" lowering, with new bushings all around...Wjhat size engine should I be looking for.I want some serious power but am not sure about the suspension/body..I don't want something so powerful that I'd twit the body in any way..I was thinkg somewhere in the 300hp Chevy 350 range..any ideas..? Thanks in advance..

-You don't want to use a stock r180 rear diff: granted it has the designed 3.36 gears, it's simply too weak to endure the torque you'll be getting out of the sbc. Cheapest and most effective fix is to pull an r200 rear diff out of a 280z (some 280z's have the r200 3.36:1 rear diffs, but they're very rare).

-You want to stiffen the chassis as much as possible - otherwise chassis flex and bend from the torque will be severe overkill. Rollcage, subframe connectors, strut bars, whatever makes the chassis not bend is what you want.

-you may want to check your front springs, and see what rates they are. The JTR swap (iron block 350 v8 with either a t-5 world class or th350 auto tranny) adds about 150-200lbs, and will give the Z nearly 50/50 weight distribution. You probably want to compensate for more weight with stiffer springs.

-better brakes are recommended - you'll have more weight to slow down. Toyota 4 pots are the cheapest and easiest conversion, and if you got deep pockets - there's out law brakes stage III+ kits or wilwood brakes. arizonazcar.com also has some expensive and nice kits. But the keyword to all those is 'expensive'.

Let me know if you have any questions, and check out www.hybridz.org (not a shameless plug, that is the best site for those resources :))