IGNORED

build a 260Z?

rupertjab89

Hey everyone,

I know you guys are all about keeping things lightly modified or stock.

2 pretty straight questions for what could become a large modification (just to get me started).

I was told the engine in my 71 240z is a 260z engine/transmission. Are there any numbers on the block that would tell me what the truth is? Same for the transmission?

If it is a 260z, can I bore it to make a 280Z engine out of it (since a 280 is a bored 260, this makes sense, unless i'm missing something)?

The end result I want is a carbureted 280Z that runs well and fast with a 5 speed transmission, for as cheap as i can do it (i'm pretty good with a wrench, dad welds, need to hire boring/milling)

Thanks!!

Somewhere on the passenger side of the block you'll find a stamped indicator: L24, L26, L28 with the motor number following. My Z is in the shop so I cannot visually verify this, but memory sez I'm correct....

Look on the spark plug side of the block at the top for a flat area. It should be marked "L26" for a 260Z engine...L24 for 240Z engine.

If the engine is an L26 and it's running well why mess with it?

Chuck

Check the head casting number at the same time. It's located between the #1 and #2 spark plugs, on the bottom of the head. Stock 260Z would be E88 (although stock '72-'73 240Z will be E88 as well).