IGNORED

Worn Shift Boot - your experiences

24OZ

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

Here's the one that goes on the bottom of the shifter.

One of our members has them in his Ebay auctions....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2400364043&category=6769

That's the one that mounts to the transmission itself. There is another one that mounts to the transmission tunnel of the body (also made of rubber) and then there is the one made from Naugha animals that mounts to the plastic console.

240z asked:

Daniel - what are these plastic pieces in the shifter that I ought to replace as well??

They are called "Shifter bushings". They are a 3 piece set. The two washer style pieces isolate the shifter from the transmisssion housing and the pin that holds the shifter in place. The 3rd piece is a cap that snaps onto the "ball" end of the shifter where it fits down into the transmission.

Are the hinges still good on the fuse door?If yes disconnect the wires. If no ,let me know I have a fix for that.The MOST important is the choke connection to the console.Of course remove the knob.Once all the console screws are removed you lift the rear of the console slightly.Get a couple of 2x4's or something to hold the rear up.Next you need a short phillips head screwdriver.In the U.S. it's called a stubby.Why do I think there's a joke there?Anyway remove the screws that hold the choke to the console.While doing so hold the choke arm that comes thru the console tight so it doesn't stress where the choke attaches.We don't want to snap those.That is the caution.Let me know when its out and I'll have one more tip.Started as such a simple thing huh? Daniel

Daniel,

thanks for the write up. It seems that the biggest difficulty is contending with the choke knob. I don't have one, which should make the job much easier! The choke knob was removed, now sitting in my garage, when the L28 FI was installed (not by me), since there was no longer a use for it. Feel better now the jobs going to be easier. :D

I'll let you know when I do the job, but its going to take me a while to get all the parts from the US and over here and then I am slow at getting round to jobs anyway! I checked out that guy on ebay and he has a website with loads of Z parts.

I'll but up his web address later tonight or at the weekend as it may be useful to anyone.

• 9 months later...

I bought my rubber one from nissan. It's thick, good quality rubber.

I got it from Courtesy Nissan in Richardson Texas when I lived in Dallas. They are a really decent parts supplier.

I just bought some more parts from them this morning, in fact. They probably have the NOS (new old stock) vinyl boot, but I imagine it would be quite expensive, so a good one-off will suffice. I just need to know which one looks best.

Pictures would help.