IGNORED

Electrical Issues! Car has to be jumped, Light problems, help

MPOWER

OK, just until a few weeks ago, had no electrical or starting problems. Now out of the blue, our ’73 Z has been having to be jump started every time. Only just after driving it turning it back on within a small period of time(10-15 min) does it start right back up. In addition to the starting problem, the headlights stopped working(since then found connector popped out of relay just under steering column).

Now headlights work(both low and high), but running lights stopped. Blinkers/hazards/stop are all OK.

Let me say that I was working around the steering column trying to fit the plastic surrounds(another little problem as it doesn’t seem to fit flush). I figured I may have pulled a wire loose and so was the case for the headlight. Not sure why the running lights stopped and I don’t see any more loose connections around the headlight switch.

(Today, my son reported that running lights came on after short drive along with dash lights!, but then at lunchtime had to jump start again as car wouldn't start on it's own)

After reading a few post, I am going to get small voltmeter/tester after work.

I did the ago-old ‘pull the negative battery cable off” while car is running and it did in fact keep running. Does that mean my battery is ‘bad’?? It looks like a new “Bosch” battery(We’ve only had the car a month maybe). I was thinking of pulling it off and having it tested, or can I check myself with the voltmeter? I think maybe there is something draining the battery somewhere.

Oh also, the PO put on some ‘flat faced’ fancy headlights(maybe 6K??) and have been told to get rid of them if there isn’t any relays.

Besides checking for loose connections and fuses, any other simple suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)!!

The old "pull the cable off of the battery" trick is overrated and not wise IMHO. Do you have a picture of the relay that was around the steering column? I don't recall a stock relay being there.

Be sure to download a copy of the FSM. The BE section is invaluable for finding wiring issues. If you understand how to read it, you can locate most any electrical component easily.

So many potential issues here...First thing is sounds like is that a PO jacked with the wiring. That can be difficult to diagnose & repair. Isolate all of the problems and investigate them individually.

If I wasn't working too much, I would post more help.

Your ammeter should tell you if the battery is charging or discharging. It should be in the middle of the dial with the key off.

The symptoms sound somewhat like a dead battery. An auto parts store can check it for you for free.

Your ammeter should tell you if the battery is charging or discharging. It should be in the middle of the dial with the key off.

The symptoms sound somewhat like a dead battery. An auto parts store can check it for you for free.

Thanks! Will do.

The old "pull the cable off of the battery" trick is overrated and not wise IMHO. Do you have a picture of the relay that was around the steering column? I don't recall a stock relay being there.

Be sure to download a copy of the FSM. The BE section is invaluable for finding wiring issues. If you understand how to read it, you can locate most any electrical component easily.

So many potential issues here...First thing is sounds like is that a PO jacked with the wiring. That can be difficult to diagnose & repair. Isolate all of the problems and investigate them individually.

If I wasn't working too much, I would post more help.

Thanks! Will download FSM for sure. I think extra relay IS for non-stock headlamps.

Now that you have the FSM remove the offending relay and restore the wiring back to stock. The second photo mostly looks correct the two black wires that split are stock grounds the butt connector red to greenish blue looks like a hack. For now remove the "upgraded" headlamps till you get a proper relay harness" Dave Erwin makes them you can get one from MSA (or himself I think) I highly recomend his harness it worked great for me. Go through the wiring very methodically.

Thanks for all the help. Checked system with Multi-meter and looked like alternator was fine. Double-checked by bringing in to O'Reilly's and confirmed OK. Battery also took in and confirmed it had dead cell. Replaced battery(reversed Poles) and all is good now. Now back to wiring under column (among many other tasks!).