IGNORED

280ZX Speedometer - 85MPH?

jquigle1

Here is a tricky one! I'm confident some expert out there might know the answer.

I have a 1983 280ZX 2+2....which has the digital dashboard. What I don't understand is that even with the pedal to the metal, the speedometer tops out at 85 MPH. Going downhill, with the pedal to the metal, I should certainly see a readout of higher than 85 MPH.

I understand if it was only a two digit LED readout, that technically, it would top out at 99 MPH.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

You don't have a speedometer application on your iPhone?? :rolleyes:
I'm trying to get to what that would have to do with his question......anyway, only the 1979 280ZX had a 100mph speedo. On September 1, 1979, a regulation by the NHTSA required speedometers to have special emphasis on the number 55 and a maximum speed of 85 mph. Starting with the 1980 model year, all US 280ZX's went to an 85 mph speedo. 1983 was the only year that offered a digital speedometer but the 85 mph limit was carried over. Somewhere in the mid-80s that regulation was dropped.

(Arne beat me to it)