IGNORED

Vinyl Roofs

olzed

Seeing 24 Ounces pictures of his car with vinyl roof makes me wonder how many others there might be out there.

Was it a dealer option?

I have only ever seen one other vinyl roof. It was on a ZG. I was very interested in this car at the time but there were some rust issues under the vinyl, and it was an auto, which I was unsure about

This car was brought to NZ about 15 years ago, by a Japanese exchange student, and when she went home the car was left with the people she stayed with.

This ZG was an auto .Maroon in colour, vinyl was cream. Screw on plastic guard/ fender extensions. It had the passenger footrest as well. Was the auto factory origional? Was the vinyl roof factory origional?

Anyone who puts a vinyl roof on a Z (or any car for that matter) should be sent to prison, without any hope for parole.

Those who afix faux convertible top to any vehicle should simply be shot.

To answer your question, vinyl roofs were sold as an dealer add-on by men wearing plaid suits and wide ties.

As I recall, they were dealer installed even though the part number is listed in the fiche, referred to as "Leather Top" as well as a part number for the installation kit (I'd have to look that number up), but I love Gary's answer being from the era where men wore plaid suits and wide ties (even though I didn't). The second number you posted superceded the first one.

The real answer to the question depends on which market and S30 model you are referring to. The OP specifically mentioned a JDM ZG (HS30-H) that had one fitted and he was wondering if it was a 'factory original'. I think the answer is it could have been. In Japan it was possible to custom order options, as Alan T noted in this thread http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?14501. It is also possible it was an OEM part that was added later on, or it could have been an aftermarket version.

There was also a question about whether the automatic transmission was 'factory original'. Yes, the automatic was available on the HS30-H.

If it was indeed a real ZG (HS30-H) I wouldn't let a vinyl roof or automatic stand in the way of acquiring it, even if I didn't care for them. They are easy enough to remove and ZG's are rare and desirable cars in my opinion.

-Mike

I did'nt like the auto in it, but the main reason I passed on it were that a "friend":sick: of mine told the elderly owner that the ZG was a rare car and was worth more than he was asking. So the price went up. Yes, it appeared to be a genuine ZG, but the vinyl roof and auto seemed odd.

Edited by olzed

Looking forward to meeting you both Mike. I would love to see pictures of your Zed. Sounds very nice.

A little warning about driving habits here. We have the unenviable reputation as being amongst the most impatient drivers in the world.

Also fuel is over $2 litre. Hit $2-12 a couple weeks back.

And for the whole month of Feb.there is only 4 ks tolerance above our 100ks. speed limit. Used to be 9 ks.

Just off to show our 2 Bichons.

Cheers, Brian.

PS.--Ten for the winery. Nice number.

Hey Brian:

Wow...over 8 bucks a gallon for gas...and we thought 3 1/2 bucks here in the States was bad!

I have only seen a couple of full vinyl top cars on the web (one white, one black) and they looked pretty hideous. The half vinyl top on my '72 cost the original owner $150 and is listed as a "Sport vinyl top" on the list of options on the bill-of-sale. The guy paid for $817 worth of options and his Z had 437 miles on the odometer when he bought it (I'm guessing it was used as a demonstrator or driven by the salesmen). He didn't get a discount on it...dealers back then could get full price out of any Z and padded the sales with lots of add-on junk.

The attached link is for a nice original owner '71 Z from Calif. The owners took the car on their honeymoon.

http://bringatrailer.com/2009/01/07/1-owner-survivor-blue-plate-1971-datsun-240z/

Enjoy your visit to the States...where will you be and for how long?