IGNORED

EFI relay unplugged

rcb280z

Well the AAR is just a "leak around the throttle valve to increase rpms when the engine is cold".

In my friend's case, his idle was very high. When I pinched off the hose with my fingers during a test drive, the rpm's dropped immediately.

In your case, the AAR may be working, or it could be stuck closed or it may be simply sticking.

So if the AAR is opening to much on an engine that is possibly on the lean side to begin with and it is not that cold outside for the cold start to work, but the AAR is open, then it could be considered a vacuum leak correct? And would cause an engine to idle poorly until it started to warm up like my Z. It is supposed to cool down tonight so I think I will push the Z out of the garage and let it sit outside for a few hours and then perform those tests. Will keep you posted.

Sort of,

The AAR does not cause a lean condition because it is down steam from the AFM. So any air that it flows around the throttle valve through the AAR would have been drawn through the AFM and correspondingly more fuel added by the AFM detecting this.

The AAR is basically just to keep the rpm's up on a cold winter morning so that your car can idle faster and not chug chug chug and die. On cars without AAR devices, you would have to sit in the car with foot on the gas and nurse it along until the engine came up to temp. Now with the AAR you can start the car then get out and scrape the windows without having to worry about it dying LOL.

UPDATE

Ran the AAR test and here is the result. Pulled hoses and the AAR was open ( about 1/4). Put hoses back on and started the car. Pinched the supply hose and it stalled right away. Restarted and allowed it to warm up (10 min). Pinched same hose and nothing happened. Steady idle. Pulled hose's and AAR was closed. I'm ready for the next test.

Start cold....about 950-1000 rpms with unstable idle. After I raise the throttle (I shouldn't have to) for about 15-20 seconds and let go, I get a stable idle around 1300 rpms until the engine starts to warm up and then the throttle slowly drops to about 850. Takes about 5 minutes.